Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

S-10 RANT: conversion problems-700R4

Nasty_Nate
06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on. Listen to my tale of woe, and enjoy.

Last week i started my '91 tbi motor swap, New 700R4, and into a '93 body with vortec wiring. At first this sounds like a mess, but it fires and it runs. All i had to do was swap out the engine harness and the computer to get the TBI to work. Everything was working great until I got the brand new 700R4 trans. this is a 4x4 by the way. (was gonna put the '93s transfer case on it too so that the body was completely sealed still.) Anyway, went to put on the transfer case and started to bolt it up ad draw the transfer case into the trans, and promptly snapped the adapter.:banghead: ok, fine, i got extras laying around, but let's figure out how i snaped the adapter.
So i get out my measuring tape, and lo' and behold! THE TAILSHAFT WAS TOO LONG! 3/8 of an inch too long. How the tranny shop could do this, i dunno. I thought all 4x4 700R4's were the same. This make me very angry.
Next i call the tranny shop and ask them wtf is going on, and they say that's the only shaft that can be ordered for that tranny. my reply: NO F@$%&G WAY :nono:. i snap off a few pictures, and send them out to them and then they tell me, "oh we must have been shipped the wrong one,. but you can try to trim the output shaft, it won't void your warranty." So i do that at my brothers machine shop, being sure i keep the shaft balanced. Go to mate up the transfercase again, ad now instead of being 3/8'', i'm now 1/16'' off. now i'm bottoming out on the splines:banghead:.
So there i am with my motor in one truck, a bad tranny in the other, and a brand new trans i can't even use. worse yet, i need to find a way back to school (650 miles away) in less than 36 hours. why me. at this point i go insane. i decide, fine, i can get it finished if they send me a new one, this time i told them to measure the output shaft befre they put one in. and it'll be here in about a week.
I made it back to school now, blazer still in peices, Jimmy now sitting in a junk yard, and after about $1000, I now own a 94 chysler new yorker.
I know, i hate dodge with a passion, and now i own one. my life keeps getting odder and odder. :dunno:

:screwy:If you have any other gripes or concerns, or know of any good shrinks, let me know. I could use one...

OverBoardProject
06-14-2006, 04:09 AM
That happens Nate, you'll feel better soon..
Although New Yorkers look like Grandma cars, they're a nice cumfortable ride that shouldn't be too bad on fuel. You might actually grow to like it for what it is.

I know that's how I am with my 4 door topaz, don't even ask me to sell it... although I'd sell my Blazer in a second.

Nasty_Nate
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
heh, maybe so. spaeking of which, here's a pic of my jimmy on tuesday....

or maybe not, not sure how to put pics on the page... oh well.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CNasty%5CDesktop% 5CImage008.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!