Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leaking gear fluid? Hard shifts

steamer482
04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a 04 trailblazer and just hit 13,000. I noticed that my transmission would shift rough periodically between first and second for the past few months. I had the dealer take it and they said it felt fine to them. Today noticed a wet spot in the driveway. Natural smelled it to determie what is was. Could not tell. Started looking around under the car to see what the deal was. Here, and it looks like it is somewhere on the front transfer case there was the leak. Again smelled the oil, this time it smells liek gear oil (ohh no). I am not expert but would the loss of gear oil cause my transmission to be acting the way it is? The dealer can not look at it unitl Monday. Any ideas what I can tell them or what it maybe or is. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Steamer482

maxwedge
04-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I have a 04 trailblazer and just hit 13,000. I noticed that my transmission would shift rough periodically between first and second for the past few months. I had the dealer take it and they said it felt fine to them. Today noticed a wet spot in the driveway. Natural smelled it to determie what is was. Could not tell. Started looking around under the car to see what the deal was. Here, and it looks like it is somewhere on the front transfer case there was the leak. Again smelled the oil, this time it smells liek gear oil (ohh no). I am not expert but would the loss of gear oil cause my transmission to be acting the way it is? The dealer can not look at it unitl Monday. Any ideas what I can tell them or what it maybe or is. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Steamer482
Transfer case fliud is blueish, an intermix into the trans could cause a problem, but let them determine the source and effect of the leak. You are getting ahead of yourself, short of telling them what you observed there is really nothing else to pass on.

rodeo02
04-29-2006, 02:16 PM
...it smells liek gear oil (ohh no). I am not expert but would the loss of gear oil cause my transmission to be acting the way it is?

If it smells like gear oil- REALLY stinky sulpher smell that stays with you & hard to wash off, It cannot be from your transmission or transfercase. ATF is red in color & doesnt smell like gear oil & the transfer case uses a ($$) synthetic oil that is essentially a Mobil-1 motor oil. The only areas that hold gear oil on our trucks is the front and rear differential.

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!