Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Change timing belt?

guferuss
04-17-2006, 07:03 PM
99 Rodeo LS 6cyl 2wd, approaching 90k miles. Do I need to have timing belt replaced? Anything else I might need to do not in owner's manual?

Thanks to all who post and reply on this site for us novices.

Ramblin Fever
04-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Most 3.2L V6 owners have gotten well over 100k out of their original timing belts, waterpumps, and timing belt tensioners.

It all probably depends on the normal use of the vehicle; if you do a lot of mountain driving, towing, off-roading, etc I'd probably do it somewhere's along 90-100k miles - if not, going to 120k or so *shouldn't* be a problem.

Generally when they start to fail, it's usually the timing belt tensioner that goes first, and it'll start to sound like a rod knocking - it's a HORRIBLE sound, and many mechanics mistake it for the engine going bad.

When you do change it out, if you plan to keep the vehicle for the long-haul it really does pay to change everything while you're in there - i.e waterpump, timing belt tensioner (an absolute must), timing belt, idler pulley, crankshaft & camshaft seals.

Generally some people have had bad luck in regards to the fact that they've changed just the belt and thought the tensioner was fine, only to have it fail within 2-6 mnths.

FWIW - I have 155k miles on my 3.2L, 1st timing belt, waterpump, etc was done at 60k for preventative maintenance, belt and pump looked as if they had a LOT Of life left.

At 153k miles, roughly 90k miles on the 2nd waterpump, it failed on me one VERY cold morning. Mind you though, I do do a lot of mountain driving with this truck up the I-70 corridor through the Rockies.

I was not going to change the belt, pump or tensioner until the end of summer, but the pump caught me off guard as I thought the tensioner would go first.

highlandlake
04-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I replaced my timing belt at 77,000 or so miles. It was showing minor wear, and this vehicle had been driven lightly it's whole life.

surferfletch
04-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Search auto tranny if you have one.

Add your comment to this topic!