Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Drift Question

aemracerex
04-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Hello,all im a newb to drifting and i think of getting either a 89-94 240sx
or a 95-98 240sx.well i just wan't to know what are the steps to make a drift car.

nissan_240sx
04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
driving skill, good suspension, performance

sidewayzS13
04-13-2006, 09:40 PM
LSD driver suspension in that order

sidewayzS13
04-13-2006, 09:43 PM
do this buy lsd then buy coilovers then subframe bushings tie rod ends and tension rods. nismore front power brace and nismo motor and tranny mounts and that shold be more then enough to get you started actually that pretty amazing of a setup. and will take you a long time to get but thats some good shit to have

speedfreak
04-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Better yet, get a clapped-out S13, FC3S, or whatever beater and practice with it. Then start worrying about a nicer ride and more spending. I won't get into my opinions on drifting in and of itself....

miata1.6
04-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah an LSD is a must, It wont shift lock very well without one.

TRUBO_89
04-15-2006, 02:41 PM
used vlsd or weld the stock diff. you dont need to worry about engine mods till your a little higher on the skill ladder. sure you could just do intake/exhaust at first, but i would invest into some supension first

Skylindrftr
04-15-2006, 06:32 PM
why do some many people rock a welded diff? Whats so good about them?

sidewayzS13
04-15-2006, 08:43 PM
they cost next to nothing. and they have the same effect of a 2 way

Skylindrftr
04-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Dont they have a chance of breaking or something like that...and lsd's arent always locked

Hit_N_Run-player
04-16-2006, 03:10 AM
well if a 2way locks up on accel and deccel, its pretty much the same affect as welded or locked always.

speedfreak
04-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Except that a welded differential does not slip when going around turns; it's like running a spool. With a stick-axle rear end, it usually just makes the inside tire "chirp-chirp-chirp" when turning. I imagine it's alot harder on IRS like the 240 has.

TRUBO_89
04-16-2006, 01:50 PM
welded diff is baisically a 2 way with 100% lock all the time. if your car is a daily driver, itll be a little hard with daily driving. it can be used for daily driving, but like speedfreak said the inside wheel will chirp a bit.

as for breaking, ive seen a lot of welded diffs and people said they last for a while. but evin if it breaks hey at least it isnt an $800 diff out the window

Skylindrftr
04-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Hmm why does the inside tire chirp and how does this effect cornering?
Speedfreak what does IRS mean?

speedfreak
04-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Hmm why does the inside tire chirp and how does this effect cornering?
Speedfreak what does IRS mean?

1. The inside tire chirps because it is following a tighter radius than the outside one. Because of that, it needs to spin slower, but a locked diff does not allow it to do that. As a result of turning, the car's weight is shifted to the outside wheel giving it more grip, so the inside tire chirps. It is actually worse for handling than a normal LSD unless you want to slide. In that case, it probably isn't too impractical for a dedicated drift car.

2. IRS = Independent Rear Suspension.

Skylindrftr
04-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Hmm I'm not building a drift car anymore so I think i'll still go lsd, I have a 180sx VLSD ive been meaning to throw in once i got the output shafts which are impossible to find...

D-Bo
04-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Better yet, get a clapped-out S13, FC3S, or whatever beater and practice with it. Then start worrying about a nicer ride and more spending. I won't get into my opinions on drifting in and of itself....

weRd

miata1.6
04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Yeah, dont weld your rear end. If you want limited slip for cheap, Z31s use the same R200 differential. To get one with the same gear ratio go to
www.z31.com and look at the diff section and they go over gear ratios and stuff. you would have do a little bit of custom stuff so it will work but atleast its not costing you anywhere near $800.

sidewayzS13
04-17-2006, 10:15 PM
cheap goto a junk yard and get a j30. as for weldeds break yea they will break easily if you get shitty welds. but w/ good welds they will last for a long as time and if they break oh well it only cost you like $50. as for the daily driving they will have a little buck at very low speeds. and if you dont stage turn right there will be slight understeer. but who cares they are perfect for drifting

sidewayzS13
04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah, dont weld your rear end.

ok why not?

Skylindrftr
04-17-2006, 10:32 PM
what if you dotn plan on drifting lol

sidewayzS13
04-17-2006, 11:57 PM
well the point of the fucking thread was for drifting. and if you dont plan on drifting and plan on drag once again go w/ welded. if its just a daily driver then why not just keep it open.

SHIFT_KA24DE
04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
so are you drifting or not? lolz.

i recommend not putting in a 180sx vlsd (or any japanese silvia/180 viscous) ... Remember the diffs are made for the 205ps sr20 not the 155ps ka motor you have. Unless you have some good power mods (other than IHE) you will NOT have enough power to break them loose. That goes with j30, etc... diffs as well. Maybe look for a cheap usdm 240 vlsd.

If your short on money a well renowned individual with a white FD3S on zilvia.net can weld you one for $100 + shipping to cal (70lbs w/o fluid). Just visit a junkyard... pick up an open-diff and send it his way. Lot of customers and not one broke so far w/ a pretty decent amount of track/drift. I think it's called "Weld Locd" or something. If you bitch about tires... you go through tires on a weekly basis if you do drift anyway so it's not a big deal.

speedfreak
04-19-2006, 12:18 AM
If a car doesnt have "enough" power to drift with an LSD, how is it fine to use a welded diff instead?

With that said, you don't need alot of power to drift. If you snap the back end under power, it will come around just fine. If you turn-in under heavy throttle, it will likely do the same provided there is some kind of LSD/spool.

sidewayzS13
04-19-2006, 03:41 AM
you dont need power to drift you need skill and lsd. you can break the back end loose w/ weight distribution if you have a lack of power. i still say welded is the way to go though. ive even heard stories of people forgetting to put fluid in a welded diff for like 150 miles and them still holding up strong. but hey if you want to buy a used viscous go ahead buy a shitty used lsd that prob wont hold up long because its used old and wasnt taken care of by its previous owner.

Skylindrftr
04-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Actually you dont need a lsd at all lol, there is a team in japan called no lsd and the whole team doesnt use lsd's, just pure skill...

sidewayzS13
04-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Actually you dont need a lsd at all lol, there is a team in japan called no lsd and the whole team doesnt use lsd's, just pure skill...
and you arent them
drifting w/ no lsd isnt as fun as w/ lsd
and make up you mind first your asking about drifting then you say well what if i dont want to drift you act like a indecisive woman well that would include all women. so you act like a woman

Skylindrftr
04-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I wasn't saying i am them in any way, Im just saying such a team exists, im horrible at drifting...and i dont even care anymore...
The questions i asked were just b/c i was curious to know some things, and the other one was about if you had a welded open diff and how effective it would be if it wasnt on a drift application
wow that woman comment was absolutely biting, I hope you feel bigger

sidewayzS13
04-19-2006, 11:43 PM
what do you mean how effective it would be? no if i wasnt planning on drifting or serious dragging i would not go welded. if i just wanted something for street use and nothing serious id stay open or i would get a 1.5 lsd. thats just me

Skylindrftr
04-20-2006, 12:07 AM
I meant how effective for a street application, basically mountain runs and stop light and freeway races...
Why would you stay open for a street app?

miata1.6
04-20-2006, 04:54 PM
ok why not?
Its a street car. If you weld your diff,you will have a shitty ride around turns, if you "splurge" and go to a junk yard and get an LSD from a 1984-1989 300ZX for like $50 then you will have a nice LSD in your 240. and remember, Z31s had about 160 HP at the crank your 240 has like 155.

sidewayzS13
04-20-2006, 06:27 PM
no my 240 had more like 230ish. and im not in the mood to buy a lsd that may or may not work correctly so id go welded for drifting. and welded for drifting is better because its the most predictable beside a "real" 2 way. the rest all keep you guessing w/ when they are going to be locked or not. and fuck it i wouldnt mind a "shitty ride" and its not really shitty around all dorners mainly just when your going really slwo like parking. and i said in a street car id go open meaning if i was just using as a daily driver and had no other intentions w/ that car i would stay open, because why not

SHIFT_KA24DE
04-21-2006, 09:13 PM
of course you can break loose w/o lsd... mine is open... it's just sloppy and unpredictable compared to my friend's s14 with a vlsd (both stock ka). It's really your preference and given scenario. You can learn how to control your car w/o lsd and then buy a lsd... and then relearn how to do it... OR just skip that process and start with a lsd to begin with.

You can connect turns much easier. Once you get one turn down you're going to want to 'connect' turns... and then at that point.. an open diff is the worst thing to have.

sidewayzS13
04-22-2006, 01:25 PM
+1 for that whole post.

lucky13garage
06-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Im running with a welded diff. and my car rides alright all except the inside tire does skip at lower gears while turning... all and all it shifts super super smooth, catches hard but not too hard and is great for beggener drifting... Im leaerning slow because i dont wanna wrap my ride around a pole too soon...

Add your comment to this topic!