Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine Light Code po441

rackel411
04-04-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a '98 chevy prizim & last week the check engine light came on. I took it in & found that it was on due to code PO441, which means "Evaporated Emission Control System / Incorrect Purge Flow" After they told me they reset the light & said if it came back on to take it to a mechanic. Well, low & behold the light came on 24 hours later!! Can anyone tell me if this is something that I can fix myself and/or about how much this might cost? Thanks all!!

maxwedge
04-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Purge valve solenoid seems to be the most common cause of this but must be diagnosed using the appropriate trouble tree, the solenoid is part of the vapor cannister and is expensive.

highlandlake
04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is something that I can fix myself and/or about how much this might cost? Thanks all!!
Did you overfill the tank, by trying to top it off? You might have put fuel down into the vapor lines, which prevents the system from working. I read somewhere on a forum here last year about opening up the canister(?) lines and letting them air dry and then resetting the CE light. Worth a try, if you are so inclined to mess with those components. Otherwise, prepare for a nasty hit to the VISA. good luck.

johnholl
04-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Did you overfill the tank, by trying to top it off? You might have put fuel down into the vapor lines, which prevents the system from working. I read somewhere on a forum here last year about opening up the canister(?) lines and letting them air dry and then resetting the CE light. Worth a try, if you are so inclined to mess with those components. Otherwise, prepare for a nasty hit to the VISA. good luck.

Read the same. I wonder if drying the lines would help. My wife's car sets the same flag, and I've tested the solenoid...it's fine. I replaced the lines going back to the canister myself last year. Iv'e heard the main culprit is the pressure sensor switch, or the Canister. I can get the car to pass emmisions testing if i clear the cpu, drive the car a few cycles and head straight to the inspection mechanic. His palm-pc shows a "not-set" condition for the purge ckt., which is acceptable for NY State at this time.

John,
johnholl@650dialup.com

n1ckml007
07-14-2006, 01:05 PM
On my 1999 Prizm I needed to get the Canister filter replaced to pass inspection.

johnholl
07-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Interesting. the light in my wifes' car goes on and off durring the year. Is their a filter within the canister which can be replaced or did the entire unit need to be replaced? I've hear tell where the canister was replaced, at a costly sum by the service department, and it not fixing the p0441 flag.

Did you ever see the amount of rust-dirt and corrosion that these components are subjected to? Who's idea was it to place them above the rear axle?

n1ckml007
07-15-2006, 11:51 AM
The codes I had prior to inspection was PO441 and P0446. My check engine light was on consistantly. The notes on my shop write up are "EVAP INCORRECT FLOW AND VENT CONTROL PROBLEM. TESTED THE EVAP VENT VALVE AND IT IS NOT WORKING. SOLD AS CANISTER AND VALVE ASSEMBLY"

The cost was $272.35 for the part and $75 for and hr of labor.

The P0446 was thought to be a related to a broken O2 stud, which was replaced with the gasket.

Yeah the EVAP unit get exposed to everything, it is close to the gas tank, that's about the only reason to put it under the rear axle.

tech054
08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
This code p0441 can also be related to the gas cap, i used to get this code after filling up at the station, i bought a new cap at the local napa auto parts store and that light does not come on any more. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. if the fuel cap is not sealing correctly you may get this code. Its the easiest/cheapest solution to try first.

Add your comment to this topic!