Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS problem

chevyguy93
03-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Okay. I've got a 93 cavalier, 2.2l 4cyl. Ive been having problems with it lately. The post on the battery broke off inside, and was shorting some things out. Now. My ABS has never worked since i bought the car. When I travel over 30ish km/h, the abs light comes on. Normally that means the hydraulic brake pump is shot. Since ive fixed my car, the abs has decided it wants to work again! but, terribly. When i start the car, the first few times i brake; the wheels lock up. (brake pedal is Very touchy). When it gets a little better, the ABS likes to kick in. I went to stop at a stop sign, and as i pressed the pedal i heard the hydraulic brake pump or motor (whatever you want to call it) turn on. I almost went through the stopsign and hit a car because i lost control (could not brake) i had to pull the e-brake. It seems once i get going, and go over 30 km/h and the abs light turns on, everything is fine. (abs becomes disabled). Can anyone tell me whats wrong and if theres anything i can try and fix? The sensors all seem fine and are clean. I cannot figure it out. It's getting pretty dangerous to drive.

Young Chuck D
03-29-2006, 01:51 AM
sorry i can't help you but i'll be checking back in here to learn some things...

maybe check out a repair manual :shrug:

chevyguy93
03-30-2006, 08:53 PM
anyone have any idea?

kimbergross
04-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Okay. I've got a 93 cavalier, 2.2l 4cyl. Ive been having problems with it lately. The post on the battery broke off inside, and was shorting some things out. Now. My ABS has never worked since i bought the car. When I travel over 30ish km/h, the abs light comes on. Normally that means the hydraulic brake pump is shot. Since ive fixed my car, the abs has decided it wants to work again! but, terribly. When i start the car, the first few times i brake; the wheels lock up. (brake pedal is Very touchy). When it gets a little better, the ABS likes to kick in. I went to stop at a stop sign, and as i pressed the pedal i heard the hydraulic brake pump or motor (whatever you want to call it) turn on. I almost went through the stopsign and hit a car because i lost control (could not brake) i had to pull the e-brake. It seems once i get going, and go over 30 km/h and the abs light turns on, everything is fine. (abs becomes disabled). Can anyone tell me whats wrong and if theres anything i can try and fix? The sensors all seem fine and are clean. I cannot figure it out. It's getting pretty dangerous to drive. my 1997 cavy is doing the same thing but my abs light does not come on i change my sensor i have good brake pads i can not find what is wrong

fajita23200
04-05-2006, 09:40 AM
I've had an abs problem with my 98 cav for the last 3 years. I had it hooked up to a diagnostic machine. They said it said it was the abs speed sensor. I had it replaced, it worked like new for about 4 days. Then it started all over again. I went back, asked for a new one. I was shown the new one they intended to put in. I did not even make it out of the parking lot before it came on again. What usually happens is, I'll be making a turn, or pulling into a parking space(at low speeds.) Then the pedal gets spongy, I hear a slight grinding sound, and I slide a couple of inches before it stops. I've learned to tap the brakes, not stomp on them. This usually helps me to stop faster. I cannot figure out for the life of me what the f^&*% is going on. I have another car now. I have to sell the cav. But, I know it'll have to be cheap because of the abs issues. Which is a shame, because it still runs perfect.

kimbergross
04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
I've had an abs problem with my 98 cav for the last 3 years. I had it hooked up to a diagnostic machine. They said it said it was the abs speed sensor. I had it replaced, it worked like new for about 4 days. Then it started all over again. I went back, asked for a new one. I was shown the new one they intended to put in. I did not even make it out of the parking lot before it came on again. What usually happens is, I'll be making a turn, or pulling into a parking space(at low speeds.) Then the pedal gets spongy, I hear a slight grinding sound, and I slide a couple of inches before it stops. I've learned to tap the brakes, not stomp on them. This usually helps me to stop faster. I cannot figure out for the life of me what the f^&*% is going on. I have another car now. I have to sell the cav. But, I know it'll have to be cheap because of the abs issues. Which is a shame, because it still runs perfect. thanks for info ill check it out

millrtime
04-05-2006, 08:53 PM
i would just remove the whole abs assembly, sensors, motors, w/e. i dont have them on my 03 and i dont miss them a bit, except i live in indiana where it snows a LOT, so u gotta know how to drive it. if its giving you that much trouble, i say the hell w/ it all

kimbergross
04-06-2006, 05:51 AM
i would just remove the whole abs assembly, sensors, motors, w/e. i dont have them on my 03 and i dont miss them a bit, except i live in indiana where it snows a LOT, so u gotta know how to drive it. if its giving you that much trouble, i say the hell w/ it all thanks for info i would like to keep my abs i just like tofind out whats wrong thank again

boarder_punk
04-09-2006, 04:01 AM
I gaurantee I could fix all of the problems everyone has mentioned in this thread but it would take too long to explain and if you don't know how these systems work you would just be confused. So just take your cars to good and reputable shops, a large dealership perhaps. If they know what they are doing they will be able to fix all of your problems.

kimbergross
04-09-2006, 06:58 AM
I gaurantee I could fix all of the problems everyone has mentioned in this thread but it would take too long to explain and if you don't know how these systems work you would just be confused. So just take your cars to good and reputable shops, a large dealership perhaps. If they know what they are doing they will be able to fix all of your problems. i cant gaurantee i cane fix it but i can try ever bit of info will help me thanks

boarder_punk
04-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Ok, I am going to go through every problem mentioned in this thread starting at the very top, so this could take some time.

First, all problems mentioned by chevyguy93.
-The broken battery post, replace the battery.
-The wheel speed sensors for the ABS could be corroded or just internally shorted, check those out.
-As for the wheels locking up, check the pads and shoes to make sure they are not contaminated with grease/oil, this would cause them to prematurely lock up.
-Also, the vacuum booster (the big round thing behind the master cylinder that makes it easier for you to put the pedal down) sounds like it could have a leak either internally or in a vacuum line going to it. This would cause the pedal to be high and hard and make the car difficult to slow down.
-If the pedal is low and soft (or spongy pedal), you most likely have air in the brake fluid. In that case you would need to bleed the entire brake system and fill it up again with new fluid, or it could also be a lack of fluid or overly-worn pads or shoes.
-It would also be a good idea to check all of the wiring and connectors, any brake system valves (combination, metering, etc.), and also make sure the master cylinder is operating correctly.

fajita23200
-The sensors are obviously fine, it must be a wiring problem as to why the light is coming on.
-As for the spongy pedal feel, air in the system. It needs to be bled and refilled with new fluid.

Hopefully that helps all of you, but again, if you're not sure what you are doing it would be best to take it somewhere where they know what they are doing, just hooking it up to a diagnostic machine won't do it.

fajita23200
04-10-2006, 07:16 AM
thanks for info ill check it out
No problem. I'm currently sitting in the customer lounge at Bill Estes Chevrolet. It's pretty sweet, they have high speed internet, and all the coffee you can drink. But, I'll let you know what they say about my abs issue. If they can't figure it out, or it's to expensive. I'm gonna run that car into the river, or off a cliff!!!!!:banghead:

boarder_punk
04-11-2006, 05:57 PM
If one tech there can't figure it out, request that another look at it, or try yet another shop, and call the guys who can't figure it out idiots. A good electrical guy should have no trouble figuring this out.

fajita23200
04-26-2006, 03:30 PM
i would just remove the whole abs assembly, sensors, motors, w/e. i dont have them on my 03 and i dont miss them a bit, except i live in indiana where it snows a LOT, so u gotta know how to drive it. if its giving you that much trouble, i say the hell w/ it all
You live in Indiana too?? I live in Indianapolis. It does snow quite a bit. I know how to drive in the snow. But, it seems all the other people that live here , that were born here, or have lived here for several years. Still have no idea how to drive in bad weather.
:banghead:

fajita23200
04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
If one tech there can't figure it out, request that another look at it, or try yet another shop, and call the guys who can't figure it out idiots. A good electrical guy should have no trouble figuring this out.
Well, they told me the same thing that I already knew. I told the dumbass that I talked to, about the previous 2 wheel speed sensors. I also told him, that is not the problem. They said ":nono: :nono: ok, we'll figure it out." Almost a $100.00 later, they told me the same damn thing!!!!!!! I was so pissed.!!!! I've got a friend of mine who used to be a mechanic for several years. He told me of a problem similar to what I have, only it was a Caddy. I don't recall exactly what the details were(due to the massive amount of alcohol we consumed.) But, I remember that he said it was something that nobody would've looked for. I will get the details from him when I speak with him next time.:nono:

boarder_punk
04-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Ok, I am going to go through every problem mentioned in this thread starting at the very top, so this could take some time.

First, all problems mentioned by chevyguy93.
-The broken battery post, replace the battery.
-The wheel speed sensors for the ABS could be corroded or just internally shorted, check those out.
-As for the wheels locking up, check the pads and shoes to make sure they are not contaminated with grease/oil, this would cause them to prematurely lock up.
-Also, the vacuum booster (the big round thing behind the master cylinder that makes it easier for you to put the pedal down) sounds like it could have a leak either internally or in a vacuum line going to it. This would cause the pedal to be high and hard and make the car difficult to slow down.
-If the pedal is low and soft (or spongy pedal), you most likely have air in the brake fluid. In that case you would need to bleed the entire brake system and fill it up again with new fluid, or it could also be a lack of fluid or overly-worn pads or shoes.
-It would also be a good idea to check all of the wiring and connectors, any brake system valves (combination, metering, etc.), and also make sure the master cylinder is operating correctly.

fajita23200
-The sensors are obviously fine, it must be a wiring problem as to why the light is coming on.
-As for the spongy pedal feel, air in the system. It needs to be bled and refilled with new fluid.

Hopefully that helps all of you, but again, if you're not sure what you are doing it would be best to take it somewhere where they know what they are doing, just hooking it up to a diagnostic machine won't do it.

I recommend printing off this quote and bringing it to a different, large and reputable dealership (they often have very good techs); and tell them EVERTHING that has happened and under all conditions it happened, and also request to speak directly to a tech, rather than the service writer (details can easily be lost in translation). And if I were you I wouldn't pay for all of the "service" the other guys did considering that they didn't really fix anything.

Add your comment to this topic!