Rear Window explodes

Flipcoach
02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Today the rear window of our 03 trailblazer exploded while my wife drove down our street. It was cold and raining out and sounded like a gun shot.
It has 49,000 miles and out of warranty. I have not notified GM but lookingat the bulletin boards. This is a design problem.

betts687
02-14-2006, 01:26 PM
if it sounded like a gunshot, exploded like a gunshot, it probably was. the windows dont just spontaniously combust. someone doesn't like your wife

Dtown
02-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I never heard of anything like this "just happening"........you didn't find anything in and/or around the TB ....i.e. bullet, rock

jdjim
02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
havent had the rear window break yet on my 03.but twice now we were going down the highway, temps in the teens and sounded like someone dropped a brick on the rear of the roof. both times it was the plastic trim obove the rear window that connects to the window and hinges. it snaps loose fromt he hinge with a loud bang. gm dealer replaced the first one with a new one and trimmed the top edge, they said they fit too tight. it was about a month latter it happened again. going in to dealer in a couple days(hopefully) to have THEM repair it at their cost. i can see that when it pops up it could break the window the way its made. when it comes loose it pops out hard and loud. there is a bulleten on the panel, ask youre body shop about it. dont know if it pertains to window breaking though. the dealer told me its a poor design. dont know if it helps at all.

Chad82
02-15-2006, 08:21 PM
if it sounded like a gunshot, exploded like a gunshot, it probably was. the windows dont just spontaniously combust. someone doesn't like your wife

Actually they can. The situation he told fits perfectly with it breaking like that.

Platte15
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, the rear glass "exploding" happened to me as well. Granted, it was very cold here Friday night, but I opened the entire rear gate on our 2005 Trailblazer(not just the glass) at our local wal mart. I then pulled down on the built in handle to close the hatch after loading a couple of items---got just a couple of inches, and the glass shattered---all of it falling down by my feet. Went to my local GM dealer, and he steered my to the auto glass place, which will obviously result in a claim to my insurance company. I could maybe understand this happening in very cold weather while slamming the gate shut, but while pulling it down, this should not happen!

datslegne
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Had to laugh when I went back and read this. We had owned our trailblazer for two hours --- went to WalMart, so proud with our new vehicle. Went home, opened the rear door (also not the window) - took our packages out, began to bring the rear door down and BANG! shot glass clear down the driveway --- all over the kids EVERYWHERE. It was back in March -- cold night, but still. Still today I think of that event everytime I begin to shut the rear door.

drjimbo
06-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Two years ago the passenger side window of our 2002 TB exploded just like you described. We were going down the highway at about 70 and it just happened while my wife was sitting there and I was driving. Sounded like a gun shot also. Insurance covered the window and the repainting of the door from the scratches from the glass.

xxoutlaw
06-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I suspect a Ford sniper is to blame....lol :naughty:

cfink
08-15-2007, 11:40 PM
my driver's side window on 2003 envoy just exploded in phoenix today. it was 106 degrees. sounded like a gunshot. any similar experiences?

datslegne
09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
There is no way it was a gun shot ---- the blazer was inside of a garage -- no "bullet" ever found inside. We had four people standing at the back of the blazer when it happened. The vehicle was inside of the garage and the window blew out toward the driveway - just not possible a gun shot.

tracieosmolak
03-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I own a 2006 Trailblazer. On 3-10-08, the rear window blew out. My neighbor came and told me that he heard a 'pop' noise, then the window blew out. The glass went all over my drive way. Nothing caused this. No one directly around the vehicle. Should this be a recall issue?

mrsyork2
03-15-2008, 07:37 AM
My rear window of my 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT has exploded not once but twice within about a month's time. It has 46,000 miles and has never been in an accident.
I opened the REAR ACCESS to my TRAILBLAZER and was about to shut it, I reached my hand up and started to pull the rear gate down. I had moved it about an inch when the BACK WINDOW "EXPLODED" sending a shower of glass down over me and my 5 year old son. It shot glass fragments 10 FEET. I had glass in my hand and my hair. My son was behind me and luckily he did not receive any injuries. People heard it noise inside the building. The vehicle was clear of ice and snow. It was 20 degrees out, ( not terribly cold comparably). I had never had trouble with the glass or the rear access before. The glass did not have a nick or a scratch. I took pictures of the mess.
I ended up making an insurance claim for $900 for the back window. My deductable was $500. I had the dealer where we bought the vehicle replace it so there would be no question to the quailty of the work.
One month later the exact same thing happened! The exact say way! The vehicle was not running, the rear gate was open, when we reached up to close it. THE BACK WINDOW EXPLODED AGAIN!
I have contacted Chevrolet. They can not figure out what happened not once but twice. So they are not sure they can help me and what is worse because they do not know why it happened they CANNOT be sure it will not HAPPEN AGAIN. They will contact me again in a few days.
This is not safe!!!!!!!! I do not feel safe with this vehicle at all and I don't allow my children around the back gate ever. If something happened to them I do not know what I would do.

GMMerlin
03-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Check the support struts. One of them may be binding and when you pull the glass down, the torsional force puts stress on the glass causing it to break.
The glass is tempered safety glass and is designed to break the way it did (into little pieces)

mrsyork2
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I brought it to the dealership so it would be fixed PROPERLY. They told me they could not find the problem. And they fixed the glass. They are the professionals! I trusted them to do it right. Yes it was a Chevrolet delaership.

cuda_jim
03-21-2008, 01:15 PM
There is a bulletin on the latch for your truck and others. If the latch allowed the glass to pop open I could see the glass breaking while driving down a bumpy road ect. Maybe I'm just 'grasping at straws' for you but it may help defray some of the cost for replacement?? Might be worth a try.

ASI Resolution - Liftgate Glass Unlatches on Rough/Bumpy Road Surfaces (Replace Liftgate Window Latch) #04-08-66-004A - (Jun 22, 2004)

Liftgate Glass Unlatches on Rough/Bumpy Road Surfaces (Replace Liftgate Window Latch)

2004 Buick Rainier

2002-2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2002-2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being revised to provide the correction and warranty information, which is now available for Advanced Service Bulletin Number 04-08-66-004. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-66-004 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the rear liftgate window unlatches when driving on rough/bumpy road surfaces. This condition may be very difficult to duplicate.

Cause
The liftgate window latch may be the cause of this condition.

Correction
Replace the liftgate window latch. Refer to the Liftgate Window Latch Replacement procedure in the Body Rear End sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #743110).

Part Information
Part Number
Description

Latch, Liftgate Window

Parts are expected to be available from GMSPO on June 25, 2004.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B5924
Latch, Liftgate Window - Replace
Use published labor operation time

wafrederick
03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
It is a common problem with the fullsize vans too and heard of one doing this.It was sitting in park and the owner heard something like gunshot.

BRD
03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd keep looking around the GM-related boards & blogs for updates on that problem. On Monday of this week the U.S. Court of Appeals in Philadelphia ruled that Ford is going to have to stand trial on a 2002 Explorer's liftgate window that exploded on a tech who was replacing the hinge supports. Acc to his expert witness the prob with windows of this type is that the assembly tends to put too much torsion on the tempered glass if the hinges aren't located & torqued down with a high degree of care per factory assy specs. I don't see how GM's could be materially different from Ford's because they both buy tempered glass from the same sources and the design is alike in principle. Funny thing on the way to trial. It turns out that, beginning model year 2004, Ford added content to the Explorer service manual (the one shops use) that lays out step-by-step, bolt-by-bolt, inch-pound by inch-pound, the installation and torquing procedure when the liftgate has to be removed & replaced. The expert testified that the '04 instructions constituted an "adequate warning." The trouble was Ford hadn't issued it for earlier years. The case is DeLuna v. Ford on the 3rd Circuit's web site (google will hit it) if you're interested.

Rick2u
03-31-2008, 06:29 PM
It just happened to me last Saturday while the car was in the driveway. My neighbours across the street noticed it. I also went to my GM dealer who was sympathetic but none the less gave the canned response of "Due to the fact that I was above the 3 yr 60,000 km mark" I was SOL. I checked around and found varying replacement prices. $995.00 - $1300.00. It now seems that it is a design problem and maybe GM should take heed. I have always bought GM and might think differently on any future purchase, especially Trailblazers.

BRD
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
As McDonald's brags, "Millions sold." Check the avail info for updates. If you look at that Ford case, it'll have the plaintiff's attys listed. Contact one of them, find out who's working on similar GM cases around the country. The U.S. autos do get sued a lot, often for injuries that weren't their fault, so we know why they don't like to say anything that could be construed as an admission of error. OTOH, when they KNOW they've used a failure-prone component or a selected design requires particularized skill in assy or maintenance, they'd do themselves a huge favor with the shrinking customer base to alert the public sooner and have a process in place to inspect and/or fix the problem before it leads to injuries or a govt-ordered recall.

83cutlass
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't believe this is a design flaw, possiblly a quality control problem at the glass factory or an installation problem. Tempered glass is a safety feature so that the glass breaks into a million tiny fragments instead of 10's of large, sharp, dangerous pieces. I work at a GM dealer and I've seen 2 or 3 rear glasses blown out in the past year. These were fixed glass rear windshields, not liftgates. So yes it does happen occasionally.

maxwedge
04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Guys, this thread is going on 2 years, we are done unless something new comes up, then start a new thread, thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!