Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

steering problem

bl1tzk1213g
02-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I could turn the steering wheel 1 and 1/4 rotation to the right but i could only turn 1 full rotation to the left and that is barely getting to 1 full turn. Everytime I back up and turn the wheel all the way to the left, it locks up, i cant turn it to the right unless I get in gear and move forward a little. Then it kinda pops out. This is after I got into a car accident. the lower control arm was replaced and so was the tie rod end. both on driver side. My theory is that the tie rod end is hitting the suspension arm? then if im driving and wanted to do a hard right turn, if i turn the wheel more than 1 full rotation, it will turn the last 1/4 but itself. hmm weird...

Shpyder
02-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Please use of the adequately tagged "problem diagnosis" sub-forum.

bl1tzk1213g
02-27-2006, 01:54 AM
I removed the steering rack and it looked fine. I used a vise grip and turn the pinion/gear on the steering and it moved fine. Full left and right turn. I thought maybe it's just the tie rod end hitting the knuckle thats causing the problems so I put my rack back, adjusted the rod. It still locks up on reverse left turn. Any ideas? Maybe the rack IS busted?

Add your comment to this topic!