Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

S-10 revs up when in gear. please help

bushclinton08
01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
i have an 86 s-10 2.8 v6. automatic, throttle body. 65,000 miles. the problem began when i tried to slow down to make a turn and the truck didnt want to stop. the engine stayed revved up when i applied the brake. now that its parked, the engine runs fine when in park, but when i put it in gear the engine revs up, and wants to take off.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i need to check? or has anyone else experienced the same problem?

i would appreciate any suggestions greatly.

bigd7315
01-26-2006, 08:23 PM
try changing the tps if it don't have a idle control m otor

Cam1959
01-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I got my 1983 4wd s10 w/ 2.8 w/ carb 6 yrs ago. Perhaps the round black electric throttle control is malfunctioning. You'll see your throttle lever resting on shaft from it's middle. Pull the wire off connected to other end and see what happens. And forget about cruise control. Be sure unconnected end is covered and secured somewhere safe from heat and grounding out sparking incase cruise control accidentally sends it power.

eti engineer
01-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I had the same problem with my 97, and it turns out the high idle control called for when the AC is on was calling for the engine to go to high idle. I don't remember exactly what I had to do to fix it, but maybe this has something to do with it...

Later...

eti engineer

Add your comment to this topic!