Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Front Right Side Disc Brake Problem

93 Freshcort
01-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I was driving about 65 on the highway when I had a caliper break. I have since replaced both front calipers and pads. Three weeks later Bad vibration in the front right when I brake. I then installed new rotors. All things were good until about three weeks after that and then vibration again. I had the rotors turned and this seem to work for about 3-4 weeks and then vibration again. The vibration I get is only at 30MPH or over, and is really bad at medium pressure in the brakes. If I depress the brakes lightly or really hard it seams to go away. The pads I installed were cheap, and my next step is to install better pads.
Has anyone got any suggestions?
Could this be shock and strut related.
I have spent more money on the brakes of this car than the car is worth, but i can't let it die!

rhynes
01-23-2006, 05:16 PM
hmmm... You should be able to move the caliper side to side, i'm assuming this is not the case. This is the most common problem with calipers.

When you changed the brakes, did you pull out, clean and lube the guide pins on the calipers? I think there's two. If you don't, the brake job is useless to you. If the caliper doesn't slide, you only get brake resistance fully on one side of the rotor. Use silglide (sp?) to lube the guide pins.

rhynes
01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
As well, you may want to replace the front brake hose... Are you getting any overheating or dragging at all?

corning_d3
01-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Get rid of the "store specials" rotors and pads and buy good ones. Cheap rotors and pads aren't the way to go. Make sure to lube all the caliper slides/pins with brake part lube only. Those calipers get super hot, and regular lube will cook off. You pay for what you get so.. How much are you willing to pay to keep your car from slamming into another?

93 Freshcort
01-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks to you both. I'll check the lube on the pins. I have already purchased higher grade pads, and plan to put them on tonight. I'll also look into the hose. I'll let you know how things go tomorrow. Thanks again

93 Freshcort
01-25-2006, 12:12 PM
OK guys, I changed the pads last night, and the vibration is still present. The vibration I feel is on the right side and the old pads were worn more on this side than the left. I also noticed the caliper on the right would slide smooth and easy, and the left moved but was more stiff.

How easy should these calipers slide?

My though is that the right side is over compinsating for the left that is not working causing it to wear fast or funny which is why I am having vibration.

If the rotors ar warped should I turn the rotors or buy new?

rhynes
01-25-2006, 12:22 PM
OK guys, I changed the pads last night, and the vibration is still present. The vibration I feel is on the right side and the old pads were worn more on this side than the left. I also noticed the caliper on the right would slide smooth and easy, and the left moved but was more stiff.

How easy should these calipers slide?

My though is that the right side is over compinsating for the left that is not working causing it to wear fast or funny which is why I am having vibration.

If the rotors ar warped should I turn the rotors or buy new?

I just reread your original post... Before you go spending more money on brake parts, check your front end. I would put it up on jackstands and shake the tires with your hands at 3 and 9 position to check the tie rods, then 6 and 12 to check the ball joints. also while you have it up, grab the tie rods and give them a shake from above or below.

I had a bad rack on my current car and didn't know it. The vibration in the steering wheel was terrible and affected braking and traction.
When is the last time you had your tires checked? They could be causing some of the problem too.

Both calipers should slide smoothly. Think about it, there's only one piston, and when the piston pushes out, the caliper has to slide to exert equal pressure on the rotor. They are new calipers, so they shouldn't be causing a problem...

Have you bled the braking system since the repairs? Air in the system can cause problems as well.

With the tire off, have someone start the car and apply the brakes. Watch the movement to see if the calipers are working properly and that the brakes fully leave the rotor when the brake is released.

If the brake doesn't release, you may have a brake hose that needs changing.

Good luck.

tri-power
01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Another thing to check is if the caliper damaged the rim or knocked any wheel weights off.

corning_d3
01-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Brakes cannot overcompensate for another brake. The same amount of fluid pressure is applied to both front calipers, unless there is a restriction. A restriction small enough to reduce pressure would likely jerk the wheel out of your hand when firmly applying the brakes.

Add your comment to this topic!