Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

battery dies every morning

Trueeclipse
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
When i start my car it just barley starts or is dead..

The alternater is working becuase when i drive and then turn the car on and off it has a strong start through out the day but in the mornings it will either be dead or just barley start...

So something is draining my battery or it cant retain a charge...

I have a 2 year old optima red top battery... I have a system and everything...

however i took the inline fuse out and still it did the same thing...

so i dont know what could be draining it or any reasons for it not retaining a charge...

i own a 1996 mitsubishi gs eclipse... HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS OR DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BATTERIES?

blk_srt
01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
You have a parasitic draw. Basically something is staying on that should and is draining your battery over night. testing for it is very esy IMO. All you need is a multimeter and just run it inbetween your negative battery cable and the negitive post on the battery and wait untill your computer shuts down and see what kind of volts it reads. Normal is below .04V if its higher start pulling fuses till it goes down. once you found the fuse figure out what it powers and why its on

xavier3jr
01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
or ur amp just took too much energy out of the batery. i had the same problem and after a while i had to jump it off every time i killed some cells or something inside the battery it just wouldnt hold a charge

blk_srt
01-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Well considering that he has an optima I doubt its his system drawing to much. I have an autocraft chepo battery and I'm running dual rockford 1800watt amps with no problem.

sganc4life_4
01-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Yea basically what you do with the ammeter( not volt ) is take off the neg cable and put the meter in series with that cable and the battery. Then start pulling fuses to see whats draining the battery. Once the reading on ur ammeter goes away from a pulled fuse, theres your problem.

blk_srt
01-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Yeah, it had been a long day when I said volt and I wasn't quite all there lol. Just go get a digital mulitmeter from sears for $20. they work great and they are cheap

Trueeclipse
01-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Yea basically what you do with the ammeter( not volt ) is take off the neg cable and put the meter in series with that cable and the battery. Then start pulling fuses to see whats draining the battery. Once the reading on ur ammeter goes away from a pulled fuse, theres your problem.

In SERIES? does this mean connect the negative from the car to the ammeter then the ammeter to the negative terminal?

I have heard of autozone doing this service for customers have any of u?

blk_srt
01-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes thats the way you connect it

Add your comment to this topic!