Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny safe to buy??? Please help ASAP!!!

Nackattack
01-11-2006, 11:54 PM
ALrighty, I got in an accident a while back and my tranny is shot. I hi ended on something and ended up with a big ole gash in my tranny. It whines like I am in reverse no matter what gear I drive in and on top of that when I am in third it will just pop out of gear every once in a while. I have a hole in my header and am getting absolutely no gas mileage. Not to mention my secondary o2 sensor is shot! I am looking for a tranny and this guy wants to sell me his that was mated to his b16. He blew a rod and has no use for the tranny. My question is ...A if he was mated to a b16 was he pushing the tranny any harder than it could handle? B..If he blew a rod would that mess up the tranny as well. He wants to sell it for 380 which is really cheap. I need to know soon cause I need a tranny bad!!!

Schister66
01-12-2006, 12:38 AM
that sucks.....just thought i'd say that, but that doesn't help you in any way......

WReX
01-12-2006, 11:18 AM
sorry to hear about all of that, but thats a good deal on a trans, as for if its good or not theres no real way of knowing unless its driven, if he threw a rod he must have been pushing some high RPMs (or just fu*ked something up) which means the trans was probably screaming, so in essence throwing a rod can't hurt the tranny but the cause of the rod being thrown could hurt the trans

see if the seller of the trans will offer some kind of refund or something

also, a b16 trans is differenct than a b18, they are interchangeable but ratios on the b16 are higher i believe

TurboGSR96
01-17-2006, 02:33 PM
find the highest bridge you can find and scuttle your car. just playing, there really is no way to tell if it is good or not without taking it to a pro and having them open it up and inspect it.

Nackattack
01-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm am a little weary as I should be. Anyone know how much it would be to have a shop take a look at the new tranny or how much it is to rebuild one? I will call around tomorrow if I get a chance and try to find out from a local shop but does anyone know? Also...is it possible to install the tranny myself with some friends and do you have to lift the engine out to do so??

gnushit
01-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm am a little weary as I should be. Anyone know how much it would be to have a shop take a look at the new tranny or how much it is to rebuild one? I will call around tomorrow if I get a chance and try to find out from a local shop but does anyone know? Also...is it possible to install the tranny myself with some friends and do you have to lift the engine out to do so??
i called a few shops when my tranny went and they're charging around $1,500 to $1,900. the $1,900 one has a lifetime warranty while the cheaper ones have a 3 month/3k mile warranty. i didn't pick either and found a low mileage tranny for $200 and i had the seller install it for $150. $350... not bad. i'll probably wind up trading in the car so i don't have to worry about the tranny again :grinyes:. oh yeah, back to your original question, don't buy it! ebay has a few reputable sellers who sells trannies for cheap. you don't have to take the engine out. you can get the tranny out from under the car. if you know how to read and have friends that will help than go download the helms (official honda/acura mechanics manual) manual from http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/ and do it yourself.

Nackattack
01-20-2006, 04:29 PM
i called a few shops when my tranny went and they're charging around $1,500 to $1,900. the $1,900 one has a lifetime warranty while the cheaper ones have a 3 month/3k mile warranty. i didn't pick either and found a low mileage tranny for $200 and i had the seller install it for $150. $350... not bad. i'll probably wind up trading in the car so i don't have to worry about the tranny again :grinyes:. oh yeah, back to your original question, don't buy it! ebay has a few reputable sellers who sells trannies for cheap. you don't have to take the engine out. you can get the tranny out from under the car. if you know how to read and have friends that will help than go download the helms (official honda/acura mechanics manual) manual from http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/ and do it yourself.

Yeah, I decided not to go that rout. Looks like there are few honda places where I can get one for 500 or so...I will keep looking. Strapped for cash right now anyways so it might be a while. Just hope the whole thing doesn't go out on me!

Add your comment to this topic!