Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 integra

97cavalier
01-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey, i am looking at this 90 integra for sale, but it has 250,000 miles on it. How long do these 1.8's last? does it still have soem life left, or is it about done. The guy said it is all highway miles.

WReX
01-11-2006, 06:57 PM
well highway miles usually means the motor wasn't driven to hard seeing as how highway driving is moslty low rpms but as for things like wheel bearings, tires and some suspension peices may need changing which brings me to lubrication care, such as scheduled oil changes, transmission care and just general maintenance so its all about driver

any car can run for a million miles with the appropiate care

97cavalier
01-11-2006, 08:39 PM
well highway miles usually means the motor wasn't driven to hard seeing as how highway driving is moslty low rpms but as for things like wheel bearings, tires and some suspension peices may need changing which brings me to lubrication care, such as scheduled oil changes, transmission care and just general maintenance so its all about driver

any car can run for a million miles with the appropiate care
but whata bout internals? how long do they last like piston rings and stuff like that? 250,000 seems like alot, a hole lot

WReX
01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
well you could take the car to a mechanic and have them do a compression and leak down test (unless you have the tools available to you)

again, its all about the care the car has seen, yes pistons get old and there is standard stuff that goes bad but a compression and leak down test can really tell a lot about a car such a bad piston rings or bad pistons for that matter

how long they'll last? it might not be a bad idea to get piston rings done and what ever else a mechanic has to say, the best way to diagnose a car is too look at it and drive it in person

WReX
01-11-2006, 08:55 PM
(double post)

97cavalier
01-12-2006, 11:47 AM
(double post)
This car will be my daily driver, so i will test the compression, and see what is up.

charlief1
01-14-2006, 09:43 AM
I have a '90 Integra with about 175,000 miles on it, and it's still going strong. Oil sumption, ALWAYS something to watch closely in older motors, is about a quart between changes. A car with 250k on it will certainly drink more. Look for smoke! Then there are all the other somewhat pricey things to watch out for, CV joints, alternator, timing belt/water pump, clutch, radiator (they are plastic), heater motor, shocks, oil leaks in general, etc.

If I was going to buy a car with that many miles on it, I'd sure want to see a service history. If it's had regular work, and the engine checks out, AND it's cheap enough to buy in the first place, it will probably do the job for you. If it drinks a lot of oil, it will need rings and valve stem seals, at the least. Motor work could cost more than the car is worth, but if it's a well-maintained cream puff (like mine), it might be worth it.

If the one you are looking at is decent, it's still probably not worth as much as--or more than--$2k.

97cavalier
01-14-2006, 11:05 PM
thanx alot, but i am going to waite for something with less miles, and he is asking 2even but it is to manny miles for what i would use it for. Thanx for all your help!!

Add your comment to this topic!