Tachometer signal for Remote starter

toutru
12-29-2005, 12:32 AM
I am trying to install a remote starter on a Cavalier 2002. The problem is finding the tachometer wire which output should signal the remote starter when the engine has started. Without that, the remote starter keeps on cranking several times after the engine is already running at the risk of damaging the starter I suppose.
I did lots of research on the matter and I am now familiar with the purple/white wire which is supposed to be exiting the ignition module. Other references mentioned white and orange wires next to a red/black wire, which in my case, are the ones I found. The problem is that I tested them several times as AC as well as DC and I find that they always output a 12V negative current approx whether the engine is on or off. They appear to not change at all and seem to be constant ground. Note that on AC it reads as 30V current approx. and only if I use the tester ground lead while the other lead is on positive. Eventually, I did find a purple/white wire near the firewall hole leading to the cabin. The readings were however exactly the same.
I then decided to use the gas pump/fuel injector wire since the remote starter manual mentioned it as a possible alternative. The readings appeared to match. When the engine is off it is negative and once started it is a 12V positive just what the remote starter needs to know that the engine is running. The problem in this case however is that it seems to detect that signal too soon. The remote starter cranks the engine for a split second then quits and signals that the vehicle has started by blinking the lights even though the engine didnít actually start. It seems that the fuel pump sends a signal too soon. I assume that using the tachometer signal instead might not run into this problem as the engineís RPM might register after a slight delay only which would give the remote starter time to crank the engine. 1 sec delay would do it from what I noted. In fact, right after starting the engine with the remote starter if I manually feed that positive current to the remote starter it doesnít try cranking the engine anymore and signals that it started.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Is there a way I can access the tachometer signal such as to feed it to the remote starter in time. I know itís there somewhere since there is a tachometer installed on the vehicle. I thought about accessing it by removing the dashboard but that seems way too much to attempt. Any solutions?

BLUE ZL600 EFI
12-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Tap on of the injector wires. You will notice each injector has 2 wires, one stays the same the other one chages on each injector. Just tap one of the wires that changes. Better than the ign. module anyway. This way if the connection goes bad you only lose a cylinder, and the car will still run.

toutru
12-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Tap on of the injector wires. You will notice each injector has 2 wires, one stays the same the other one chages on each injector. Just tap one of the wires that changes. Better than the ign. module anyway. This way if the connection goes bad you only lose a cylinder, and the car will still run.
By injector wires do you mean those coming out of the ignition module (which looks like a distributor cap)? Those are the ignition wires, I think. Should I tap into one of those? There is 1 wire per cylinder, not 2. I suppose these are not the onesÖ or are they? If so how would I tap into any of them without damaging their protective cover?

stever1
12-31-2005, 07:07 PM
By injector wires do you mean those coming out of the ignition module (which looks like a distributor cap)? Those are the ignition wires, I think. Should I tap into one of those? There is 1 wire per cylinder, not 2. I suppose these are not the onesÖ or are they? If so how would I tap into any of them without damaging their protective cover?
NO! don't touch those, they are your ignition wires he's talking about your actual fuel injectors. on the top of your engine you should be able to see your fuel rail that has 4 injectors leading off. on each injector their is a two wire harness one side will be your negative pulse.

toutru
01-02-2006, 12:27 AM
NO! don't touch those, they are your ignition wires he's talking about your actual fuel injectors. on the top of your engine you should be able to see your fuel rail that has 4 injectors leading off. on each injector their is a two wire harness one side will be your negative pulse.

I looked around but didnít find those injector wires. Then, I also looked at some other vehicles and in some I did see quite obviously that rail on top of the engine with connectors (or 2-wire harness) for injectors probably. However, it seems that on the Chevrolet Cavalier 2002, those injection wires are either concealed or placed differently, perhaps underneath. I will give it another try to see if I can figure out their location. Is anyone familiar with the particular engine configuration of a Cavalier 2002, in this regard?

Thanks for the info everyone!

toutru
01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I found the injector wires at the back of the engine hidden under a metal frame and quite difficult to reach. I managed to pull one of them still visible and tested the signal with the remote starter. At one point it started the engine but still tried to crank it again. At another point, it detected the signal too early and didnít start the engine. Assuming, that the connection was loose since it was temporary for testing, I readjusted it. When I tried it again, the remote starter seemed to operate properly. So, the next day I set a more permanent connection thinking that it would work fine but itís the same problem again. The remote starter detects the signal too early and stops cranking the engine before it actually starts thinking that it did start. I am not sure why it worked at one point and not then. It could have been just a loose contact. Any suggestions anyone? Should I see a mechanic? Thatís a shame though. I did most of the work apart for this one wire which needs to be connected to the tachometer wire, or a source of current thatís positive only when the engine has actually started.

Add your comment to this topic!