Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Many problems with 2003 TB LS

tschamberland
12-06-2005, 09:35 AM
We bought our 2003 TB new and over the last 2 1/2 years have had a variety of problems. Most of the 27.000+ miles are intown and my husband and I are the only ones who drive it. After annoying 'diesel' and clicking sound for 1 1/2 years (17,787 miles) our service dept replaced pistons with longer skirted pistons (also differential seal was replaced near oil pan) and at next visit replaced fan clutch. Since these repairs we have had issued with continued 'diesel' sound and front-end 'loose-ness'. On one occasion the 4 wheel dr would not engage, then later that day it did but driving was extremely rough. The driver side door latch was replaced due to extreme noise and we've had paint bubbling issues. Most recently, the r/s axel seal was replaced (something to do with differential again 1 year after the pistons and last seal). On Sunday, my husband was driving about 35 mph nearing our street when the steering went nuts and the front end vibrated and he heard a loud clunk. It appeared that the ball joint had failed, but the service dept found the problem to be a missing bolt from the driver side control arm (at approx 27,000 miles). We have never taken this vehicle off-road and though there are many 'bad' roads in our area, we drive accordingly. If we are having these issues during warranty period, what are we to expect once that time runs out? How common are these issues and what does it take for a car to be considered a lemon?

johnblahblah
12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I have a 2003 LS 4x4 and havent had many problems with it.
I had to take it in to get the universal joint replaced last year, and just the rubber gasket around the license plate area replace. They are the only problems I've had with it.
Other than the fact that its a bit thursty when it comes to gas I love it.

John

balboasdelight
12-07-2005, 08:45 AM
what does it take for a car to be considered a lemon?

That depends on your state's lemon law, if it has one.

In North Carolina, a new vehicle is presumptively a lemon if any nonconformity of the warranty occurs within 24 months or 24,000 miles, and either was presented for repair four or more times but persists, or was out of service awaiting repair a total of 20 or more business days in any 12-month period it was under warranty. If it meets those conditions, the dealer must replace it or take it and pay a full refund (not prorated -- the full contract price including all prep charges, taxes, tags, and interest on any loan). NCGS § 20-351, et. seq.

Call your state attorney general's office and inquire whether your state has a lemon law, and if so what its terms are.

Add your comment to this topic!