Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stabilizer Bar to Control Arm Linkage

wb4lbg
11-28-2005, 09:29 AM
I was under my Rodeo Wednesday trying to get those darn bolts that hold the caliper mounting bracket on loose (BTW, I didn't suceed!) when I noticed another broken part.

It's a small linkage rod that connects the front stabilizer bar to the lower control arm. It's about five inches long with a pivoting joint on each end. I wish I had taken a picture but I didn't think of it until too late.

I called Autozone to see if they had this part but since I didn't know what it was called, they couldn't help me.

Anybody know what this little thing is called? Is it a dealer only part or can it be obtained from Autozone, etc.?

Also, I have apparently been driving it with this broken for a while and haven't really noticed any difference in handling. From an engineering standpoint, what is the purpose of tying the stabilizer bar to the lower control arm?

Thanks!

94twacker
11-28-2005, 10:19 AM
try asking them if they have a stabalizer link kit or stabalizer repair kit, that is what that should be called. Is there bushings as well, one on top and bottom? Being that its a 99 isuzu I wouldnt be too surprised if it was not available from them and is a dealer only part, unfortunately that is how it is with alot of foreign vehicles, especially newer ones.

amigo-2k
11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
contact the folks at st. charles to some new parts.

I know on my old S10 I drove around with both sides busted off for a couple of years.

I cost me 25 bucks for the new parts (I would of done it sooner if I knew the parts were so cheap).

wb4lbg
11-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm under the impression that it doesn't need fixing ASAP so I guess I can wait the 3 days it usually takes to get parts from Merlin and company. I'll give St. Charles a call.

I'm not real impressed with the quality of the part. It looks like it is only tack welded together. Still, the original one looks to have lasted 106K miles (but then maybe it's not the original since it doesn't look nearly rustiy enough compared to everything else under the truck...)

Thanks!

Gizmo42
11-28-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm not real impressed with the quality of the part. It looks like it is only tack welded together. Still, the original one looks to have lasted 106K miles (but then maybe it's not the original since it doesn't look nearly rustiy enough compared to everything else under the truck...)
Thanks!
I wasnt impressed with the quality either, or the price they want for them ($30 each from checkers). One of mine fell apart while putting my front end together after replacing ball joints.

I made my own which are much stronger and were cheaper. Check out my post on 4x4wire for the write up I did on the ones I made http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=807668&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

First gens used a different style, like the ones I had on my mitsu pickup. Basicly a long bolt, spacer, and bushings. I had one of those break and it was only $5 each for replacements. Why isuzu thought this new design was a good idea is beyond me.

wb4lbg
11-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Looks pretty ingenious to me, Gizmo. Could you provide the Summit Racing part numbers for those heims? I did a search for 'heim' and nothing that showed up was as cheap as $4.99.

And thanks for pointing out the Allen socket in the center. I had tried to remove the broken from my truck to take with me to Autozone and couldn't figure out how to get it off since the 'ball' just seems to turn freely in the 'cup'.

Gizmo42
11-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Looks pretty ingenious to me, Gizmo. Could you provide the Summit Racing part numbers for those heims? I did a search for 'heim' and nothing that showed up was as cheap as $4.99.

Guess I should have put the part number in the write up :banghead:. Its part number SUM-MSF6 they actually call it a rod end. I'm just used to calling them heims. I will update the write up too. They do have more expensive ones which are stronger but these have a static load rating of almost 5000 lbs so I figure they should last. There are also cheaper ones out there (about $2 each) but they are stamped steel, I wouldnt trust them.

And thanks for pointing out the Allen socket in the center. I had tried to remove the broken from my truck to take with me to Autozone and couldn't figure out how to get it off since the 'ball' just seems to turn freely in the 'cup'.

Took me a little while to figure that out. The first one I tried was plugged with dirt so it looked solid. When I saw the hole on the other side I decided to try the allen to see if it worked.

Add your comment to this topic!