Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo owners passing California emissions

zepeda1
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I want to get a turbo kit for my 94 RS integra, I'm thinking maybe a Greddy because of Calif emissions. Have any of you turbo owners had problems passing calif emissions even though you may have a legal turbo kit (greddy)?

QUICK_EG_B16A
11-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Well if your into the street racing scene you can find someone who knows of a shop were you pay the guy to put a stock car on after he scans the info off of your car into the computer. I've heard of this being done many times.

superbluecivicsi
11-12-2005, 02:37 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=472662

Schister66
11-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Does California have certain parts that you can't put on your car or how does that work?? I think that the turbo would pass emissions as long as you don't have an open dump tube and run a cat......

UncleBob
03-02-2006, 04:22 AM
you have to get a CARB certified turbo kit. Or you can have the joy of installing whatever kit, and then putting everything to stock for emissions testing.

clawhammer
03-02-2006, 05:57 PM
With a turbo, couldn't you just dump the exhaust after the downpipe simply by unbolting the rest of it, and when they connect the tester up to your tailpipe, there will be nothing showing up?

Sorry, I've never had to worry about emissions. I live in Michigan.

TerminalVelocity
03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
they do a visual inspection as well.

And if you get pulled over, and they pop your hood thats when your in troubble.

Smoghog
03-03-2006, 12:26 PM
they do a visual inspection as well.

And if you get pulled over, and they pop your hood thats when your in troubble.

Just make sure you get a kit that has been C.A.R.B. approved. (California air resources board) There are a couple of turbo's for your car that have CARB approval's.

We do do a Visual, to see if ALL emissions components are there and hooked up without modification. Functional, is Timing, fuel cap, and EGR. and the emissions, Which is the sampling of exhaust.

For a scenrio If the car has a CAI it has to have been carb. approved. With a sticker, mounted tag, or the reciept which shows the model number and the manufacture of the CAI to pass the Visual inspection. We will look it up on the CARB website. Same thing goes for a turbo, Header, or intake, etc...

Yes, there are some out there that will bend the rules abit.
But NOT me! SH

TerminalVelocity
03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
yah, if a smog tech would get caught cheating like that...they are in alot more troubble than you are!

And the police wont be so nice with a visual...you get a ticket saying you have to replace the parts with stock *or carb leagl?* parts...

Schister66
03-04-2006, 05:10 PM
dude, i'm sooo glad i live in North Dakota after reading threads like this.....i have no cat, no muffler and a completely illegal turbo set up.....and i wouldn't change a thing :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!