Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Help Replacing upper hinge

Thomas S
11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
My son backed out of the garage, and bent his door back. I need to replace the upper driver's door hinge. The one that is on the pillar. It is welded and haven't a clue on how to begin to replace it. If anyone has done this before, I would appreciate some help.

OverBoardProject
11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Without a wire feed welder your hooped.

With a wire feed welder grind the welds off using a die grinder and weld on a new hinge in the exact same spot.

And replace the bushings and pin in the old one.

The hinge might be a dealer item only, but I'm sure that they are available.

Thomas S
11-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks! I have a wire welder, but how do you get to the back side of the hinge ? One guy told me I had to drill out the old hinge and replace it with a bolt on hinge.

dugie6551
11-08-2005, 08:48 AM
All you have to do is cut and grind off the existing door hinge. You do not need to get behind the hinge.

Cut and grind the old one off ... grind down excess hinge on the cab panel ... then weld on the new one to the existing cab panel. I suggest that you have a continuous weld all around the door hinge. That is what I do .. but a some stitch welds are OK. Do not just tack weld the hinge to the panel, or it will break.

movin2stereo
11-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Replacement hinges might be bolt on only if they even make them.The problem with just welding the hinge on is the placement has to be exact.Which means after you glue it thats it,no adjustment.I would first try and bend the other one back into shape.

Thomas S
11-09-2005, 06:29 AM
Replacement hinges might be bolt on only if they even make them.The problem with just welding the hinge on is the placement has to be exact.Which means after you glue it thats it,no adjustment.I would first try and bend the other one back into shape.
That would be a easy fix,but the hinge pin holes were ripped out.

dugie6551
11-09-2005, 06:46 AM
The problem with just welding the hinge on is the placement has to be exact.Which means after you glue it thats it,no adjustment.

Because you have to replace the hinge and welding is the best solution.

Here is how I would do it to locate the new hinge:

- scribe or spray paint the outline of the existing hinge before you remove it on the cab panel, or make a cardboard template of the area around the hinge.
- then cut and remove the existing hinge
- grind a couple of spots to add a couple of tack welds (3 or 4), do not tack in the corners, but on the sides (you need the corners to position the new hinge.
- align and position the new hinge in the outline then tack it in place.
- install the door and make sure it opens and closes properly, with no problems (be careful not to put to much weight on the welds)
- if everything works properly, remove the door, grind the rest of the area of the hinge and final weld the hinge on, if it doesn't work properly, keep playing with the hinge location till it does

HINT: replace the pin bushings in the lower mount before you do this repair and exercise. No point in doing the top hinge when the bottom is old and crappy.

movin2stereo
11-09-2005, 05:24 PM
That would be a easy fix,but the hinge pin holes were ripped out.
I have ben in the auto collosion trade for 11 years and have never seen or had to replace a hinge(cab side) on a S10 and I have sen some banged up S10s.He must have really hit the garage!Remember after you get the hinge welded on that you ned to get some kind of corrosion protection back in there.Used motor oil can also be used and it flows in.

Add your comment to this topic!