Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cam position sensor code 89 Olds V6 192k

jehiatt
11-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I get error a code for cam position sensor and it won't reset. When I crank up the SEL is on again. I got it when I scratched off real good one day to save my as well and good. I can't find the sensor and my son says it's probably the timing chain and I should replace it anyway. I want to at least find the sensor and see if I can test it.
What say you?

chevelleman
11-08-2005, 02:16 AM
the sensor is about half way behind the water pump pulley and above the harmonic balancer if you look you should be able to see wires and the electrical plug that goes to the cam shaft position sensor there is one 10mm bolt that holds it in

once you get it out of there you will need a flash light and a mirror and you will want to turn the motor over with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt i believe its either a 1 1/16 or a 1 1/8th bolt through the little hole you will be looking for a piece of plastic that holds a magnet if you dont see a magnet you found your problem if the magnet is still there go ahead and replace the cam position sensor

more likely than not the magnet fell out as it is very common to happen anytime after about 150,000 miles or so if that is the case you will have to take the timing cover off and replace that magnet and while your in there you might as well replace the timing set because it is cheap insurance if you plan on keeping the car

this is a very common problem with the 3800's i replaced my timing set and magnet at 160,000 miles if you need help with the procedure let me know i did it myself its a job for sure but can be done

jehiatt
11-08-2005, 03:49 AM
the sensor is about half way behind the water pump pulley and above the harmonic balancer if you look you should be able to see wires and the electrical plug that goes to the cam shaft position sensor there is one 10mm bolt that holds it in

once you get it out of there you will need a flash light and a mirror and you will want to turn the motor over with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt i believe its either a 1 1/16 or a 1 1/8th bolt through the little hole you will be looking for a piece of plastic that holds a magnet if you dont see a magnet you found your problem if the magnet is still there go ahead and replace the cam position sensor

more likely than not the magnet fell out as it is very common to happen anytime after about 150,000 miles or so if that is the case you will have to take the timing cover off and replace that magnet and while your in there you might as well replace the timing set because it is cheap insurance if you plan on keeping the car

this is a very common problem with the 3800's i replaced my timing set and magnet at 160,000 miles if you need help with the procedure let me know i did it myself its a job for sure but can be done
Chevelleman;
That's about a clear and precise response as anyone could want. My thank you. Now to find the get up and go! I do want to replace the chain soon. I think the car will go for a while yet.
JIM

Alibi
11-08-2005, 02:43 PM
If you have to replace the magnet, epoxy the bugger onto your gear to avoid losing it in the future.

Ron AKA
11-11-2005, 03:48 PM
You can get some help here on where it is located and how to replace it.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/e4/0c/0900823d8015e40c.jsp

Ron

Add your comment to this topic!