Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

KA24E help

vwhobo
10-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Okay guys, time to put on the old thinking caps but first a bit of history. I just took delivery on a customers "90 Stanza with the above mentioned KA24E engine. The first shop the owner took it to (they indicated an ignorantly cheap price) determined it was a broken timing belt (oh, really???) and pulled off the timing cover. When he opened it up and found a broken chain (what happend to the belt?) it blew his mind and all work stopped because now the job couldn't be done for $150. The car sat at his "shop" for almost three years until I picked it up last week.

So... Because this job is a space filler I'm biting off little bits at a time. The first thing I did was pull the head to take care of the banged valves, get a new timing cover to replace the grenaded one, new timing set, tensioner, gaskets, etc. Inventoried the parts and cleaned them up in preparation for reassembly. The oil pan went in the solvent tank to soak out the caked on oil, dirt and shrapnel. While the pan was soaking I cleaned the front of the block and installed the new chain guides and crank gear. The whole time I was looking at the front of the block something seemed wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Now I'll tell you right now that I've only done 15-20 timing sets on one of these engines in my life so I'm not the most experienced at it and thought I was just making things harder than they had to be. Next came cleaning out the pan and this is where I made my discovery that leads to the question. Along with a bunch of aluminum chunks and broken screws from the oil pump cover, I retreived the key to my concern... The timing chain oil squirter that was broken off when the chain let go. Hoopty doo, it's my luck day. Even better, when I called the dealer to order it I figured they'd say you have to buy a new block to get on. Wrong again, it'll be here Monday. With luck like that I need to go buy some Lotto tickets.

So here are the questions that I need help with. I can't find any documentation to guide me, including at the dealer, and none of their techs know either.

1. Is the oil squirter threaded into the block or pressed into the block?

2. If it's threaded, are they right or left hand threads?

Those two questions will be apparent when I get the part in hand. I just wanted to find out so I can get the squirter removed during some free time this weeend. Here is the million dollar question.

3. When the squirter is installed, what is the orientation? Maybe the better way to ask is does the dot go at 12 or 6 (3 or 9?) o'clock? If you've ever looked at one you'll know exactly what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide. The beer's on me.

Add your comment to this topic!