Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting problem 91 Buick PA

Buick91
10-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Hello all,

I have read thriugh many of the posts and thanks for the info so far. I am new to the car, so they help.

Replaced starter. Intermittant non start. Usually when wet out. Starter will not engage. Verified it is not a week battery. Ran jumper from battery to solenoid. Turns over, but will not start. Pull fuse number six, re install and it starts right up. Must be the resistor in the key ( I have been reading :-)). I will investigate further. Simply pulling the 15 amp ignition key and putting it back in got me home. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Buick91
01-09-2006, 09:01 PM
I have since realized that pulling the fuse only took time which allowed the VATS to reset and when I tried again after a few minutes, it worked. The solution the nest time it happened was to wait and try again. When it gets warmer I will look into putting in a resistor.

Thanks

Hello all,

I have read thriugh many of the posts and thanks for the info so far. I am new to the car, so they help.

Replaced starter. Intermittant non start. Usually when wet out. Starter will not engage. Verified it is not a week battery. Ran jumper from battery to solenoid. Turns over, but will not start. Pull fuse number six, re install and it starts right up. Must be the resistor in the key ( I have been reading :-)). I will investigate further. Simply pulling the 15 amp ignition key and putting it back in got me home. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

HotZ28
01-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Your doing good for a Buick newbie! I don't think the dealer could do any better. If you have an extra key, try it first, or if not, get a new key made from the one you have. They cost between 15-20 bucks at most locksmith shops. If you do the resistor thing, it will disable the VATS. I guess the requirement for having that feature depends on where you live & park @ work.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

gottabike
01-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I have done the vats bypass on my vehicle with no major problems. It does disable the starter/fuel kill but not the alarm system. If you decide to go with it please feel free to message me. I will be more than glad to help....

Buick91
01-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks,

I like the car. I find the forum very interesting and useful. As I get more familiar with the car, I hape to contribute as well.

Your doing good for a Buick newbie! I don't think the dealer could do any better. If you have an extra key, try it first, or if not, get a new key made from the one you have. They cost between 15-20 bucks at most locksmith shops. If you do the resistor thing, it will disable the VATS. I guess the requirement for having that feature depends on where you live & park @ work.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

HotZ28
01-13-2006, 06:48 PM
A couple of links below that will help you understand the VATS system & how to bypass it, if you should choose to go that route.

I remember once, I had the same problem as you. Rather than bypass the system, I had a spare key made to keep it in the console, in the event it is ever needed. (I also keep another spare at home). I assume, I put the key in the ignition in a hurry and it did not read the resistor. That "one time" problem has never reappeared!
:grinyes:

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/292005/169809/article.pdf

http://www.12vp.com/info_resistors.htm

:cya:

Add your comment to this topic!