Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP with 1996 roof rack installation

HondaBiz
10-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey All,

I recently bought a Honda OEM Roof Rack kit for my 96' Passport. However, the instructions were missing. Does anyone have instructions or how to steps to help me install the roof rack.

Maybe if someone could post a picture of their rack on the car, that would help as well. The rack itself is pretty easy to put together, the hard part is drilling the holes in the roof, and how to fasten the 8 screws that come through the roof.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ramblin Fever
10-18-2005, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't bother with the OEM roof rack - I have one, it's not worth the drilling.

Check out the Yakima roof rack system, paid $150 for all & to have it installed around my OEM rack.

My OEM rack is rendered useless as it can't hold much. The Yakima bars were installed inside the door jambs, no holes, no screws - easily removeable as well. AND the set-up can easily hold 2-300 pounds or more.

OEM rack can only carry 100#

HondaBiz
10-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks Ramblin Fever,

I was thinking about going with the aftermarket rack, looking back I should have. I'll check it out.

Thanks

surferfletch
10-19-2005, 09:24 PM
My OEM plastic POS rack broke on I-95 at 4am in South Carolina. After driving about 10 hours and being so early in the morning, I could only laugh at the possibility of my soft carrier fully leaving the top of the rig as I passed an 18 wheeler with the crossmember banging away.

Add your comment to this topic!