Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vapor lock

eti engineer
10-15-2005, 11:23 PM
I have a 97 S-10 which I have modified slightly. Being in Calif. doesn't allow one much freedom to change things (Damn Eco-Nazi's!!). I have installed a Gibson Catback exhaust system, a Jacob's Pro-street ignition system, a K&N with cold dam, an aftermarket MAF (can't remember the brand name) and Hypertech'ed the computer. It performs quite well -- had to install soft composition Dunlop 255 60r15's on the thing to get the hp to the road to keep from shredding the stock tires -- and lowered the 0 - 60 times by 3 seconds.

Even though I have installed a 160 degree stat on the truck and keep the radiator meticulously clean, I still experience vapor lock under certain conditions on warm days. Has anyone else had trouble with vapor lock on their engines, or do you think it is because of the mods.

Second question, where would the vapor lock be occurring and is there anything I can do like install heat shield somewhere under the hood to keep this from happening?

Thanks...

eti engineer

OverBoardProject
10-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Pretty impressive power for a v6? powered S-dime

You probably know more about Vapor Lock than I do.
Look for any place where the fuel line is close to a manifold, and either move it or insulate it.

A fuel hose cut down the middle, and slipped over the hard line is probably all that you'll need.

I would imagine that your running an E-fan, but if your not it might help you out.
A ford Taurus 2 speed e-fan is probably the best for the S-10. I used a BMW 2 speed thermal switch for mine. Everything looks factory, and the job took less than 2 hours.

Add your comment to this topic!