Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

getting the ca16 engine to start..

el cheesmo
09-19-2005, 07:02 PM
I obtained an 87 NX from a friend that had been flood damaged. I am not looking for a quick fix however one would be nice :icon16:

The water went 3/4 the way up the engine bay and totalled the computer under the passenger seat. Having replaced the computer I am now at a standstill for what the problem is.
The sparks put off spark (but I'm not sure how strong)
The readout on the computer in test mode cycles through 1-5 (or 6, whatever it is), and according to my manual there is nothing wrong with it.
The fuel get all the way to the solenoid at the top of the carbeuretor but as far as I can tell does not actually get put into the engine. Now I could be wrong here but thats what it seems like at the moment.
Because of the flood damage I am wondering if there are fried wires or electrical components somewhere along the way that could be screwing the gas-into-engine-ing :eek7:

Any ideas or suggestions? I am looking at fixing it this way before I lose hope and send it to the shop to get it running.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Cheers

elC

psychopathicdude
09-26-2005, 12:44 AM
See if it will "start" or at least show signs of life if you spray carb-cleaner or starter fluid in the intake. Even with evidence of spark, there may timing or compression issues, or something else strange going on. If it is a carburator problem, you may have a plugged jet or a stuck needle or a bad float...so a little "majick spray" just might knock something loose. Water does strange things to engines...electrical systems and mechanical systems that just weren't designed to run or sit underwater. Best of luck to you man, don't give up.

el cheesmo
02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
bent fuel injector...:banghead:

psychopathicdude
03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
hmmm....or that....running now?

Add your comment to this topic!