Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Explorer Headlight problems

whydidibuyaford
08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Ok I've had a problem with my explorer since the day I bought it. This is just the latest in the series of issues with this thing. Months ago my headlights started to go out on me....First the drivers side wouldn't stay on unless you hit it....Second I lost my dims but my brights worked still however if I flashed the brights by pulling back on the switch from time to time the dims would turn on. Finally they stopped working and all I had were brights, then I just drove with my brights all the time which only worked when I held the switch back, not when I pushed it forward. Then my lights stoped working all together. I replaced the dimmer switch assuming that was the problem and it wasn't. When I was replacing it I noticed that the smaller of the 2 connectors that plugged into the back of the switch was semi melted. So I got my wiretester and only one of the 6 prongs had power. I'm asuming that I have a broken wire somewhere along the line? I'm so sick of this damn car can anyone help. Heres pics of it if anyone wants to buy it off me. www.cardomain.com/id/stoneman2000

B33p3r
08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Did you try new bulbs? How about the high/low beam switch? Sure I'll buy it if the price is right for me to drive to Iowa and back again. Writing from Pa so it better be good!

whydidibuyaford
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Well Kellys Blue book says that the private party value is 5,270 as bone stock. I've been told theres a shorted wire somewhere that would be around $85 to fix but lets just say with that and gas to get here and back I'll start a base price of $5000.

The rims are a one of a kind (there are others of the same style but thats the only pair ever made in 20") That I bought for 2000 for rims and tires, they are still in perfect shape and have brand new (Well i guess they have around 200 miles or so on them) so lets say they're worth 2000 with the new tires. I bought them at tires plus, and have a lifetime of free unlimited allignments.

The factory rims are in excellent shape and have newer tires (around 800 miles on it) lets say $500 for that.

Stereo (2-12" subs, 4 pioneer 6x9s, amps running both of them) Appx $800

Billet grill $150

Clear taillights, and clear corner leneses $300

Bumpers, running boards and other plastic painted black $400

Leather seats $200

Remote start $300

New rotors and brake pads on all 4 wheels $250

Thats a grand puba total of $9900 plus. I think all those numbers are pretty close. This is the deal with me and my life as of right now, I found out 4 days ago that I'm going to be a father and I need to get something thats a lil more of a family car. I guess if I were to put a price on this I'd have to ask 8000 my number is 319-541-4979 if you or anyone else is interested. Again theres a sight with like 80 pics on it www.cardomain.com/id/stoneman2000 thanks!

asemstr
09-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Judgeing from the pics thats one hot Exsploder you've got there! But lets see what we can do about that headlamp issue of yours! Its not uncommon for these vehicles multifunction switches to malfunction, fail or meltdown! The headlamp ckts pass through this switche before going to the headlamps. But you said the low beams went out, and the highs only come on with the stick pulled back in the "Flash to pass" position. That info makes me think the main lighting switche in the dash has taken a dump. Also the the flash to pass has a seperate ckt that can't tolerate constant use thats why it fried when used full time! Ford has replacement pigtails to replace the damaged connecter, check the main light switch, and look for fuses that may have blown from a overload. GOOD LUCK!

asemstr
09-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Hello? Out of the dark yet? :feedback:

whydidibuyaford
09-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Nothing yet, actually on the way to our lovely local ford dealer to get a main headlight switch if that doesn't work i'm gonna buy a couple of candles and put them in the headlights, maybe that will light up the road enough

asemstr
10-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Fixxed yet?

whydidibuyaford
10-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Fixxed yet?
Hell no. Still not fixed... Sodered in new connectors in to the back of the multifunction switch no results.....AHHHHH sorry I'm angry with this damn thing. I dunno what else to try...New multifuncion switch, new headlight switch, new connectors....I'm about to break down and take it to a dealer and have it fixed there.

Add your comment to this topic!