Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My J30 Issues

normseven
07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I have a 1993 J30 that I picked up in 1996 for 9995.00 from the Dealer in Plano TX. The car runs good at thjis time, but has and and has the following issues for some time. The CD player skips, now does not work, I had it once replaced by Infiniti but does the same thing. Is there a fix for this, or a Bose unit to replace it ? The starter will make a grind noise some times, but has always started, thought sometimes I had to put it in nuetral, move it a foot, then it starts. The roof no longer opens, I can hear the motor run. The Driver side window is the same, motor runs, window does not open. The antenna is the same, I can hear it run and try to up/down but doesn't. And here is my A/C issue, once at highway speed the A/C seems to no longer blow cold air, around town, it is like an Ice Box, yesterday I was comming back from the California beach to the desert and once on the High way, it seemed to get warmer. However after driving home 120 miles, I unpacked the car, got right back in it for a run to the store and it was once again cold as ice, I read somewhere there was an issue like this Infinti identified but can longer find it. Can anyone help. Thanks much, Norm.

lonetxranger
07-25-2005, 09:20 PM
N7: I'm new to this forum, but as a fellow Texan, I feel your pain! Actually, I find that turning the AC off by putting it on "ECON" until the airflow recovers to normal and then going back to "AUTO" works for me. Its not a fix, but a work-around....

normseven
07-26-2005, 09:29 AM
N7: I'm new to this forum, but as a fellow Texan, I feel your pain! Actually, I find that turning the AC off by putting it on "ECON" until the airflow recovers to normal and then going back to "AUTO" works for me. Its not a fix, but a work-around....

Lonetxranger,

I lived in Plano TX from Jan 96 to Aug 99 as my son went to the U of Houston ( not realy a part of Texas acordiing to some Texan's ) when driving to and from Houston from Plano, it would start to blow warm air,
when we left from Plano to Palm Springs CA, I had masked all the side windows to keep out the sun, anyway with 660 miles of Texas to cross the car was warm by Midland, and I stopped to let it cool down and eat,
as we were pulling out it started to rain ahead and it cooled the temp down to 70 and we crusied to Tucson with the windows open, and from there ran at night as the desert here is 110 the whole way. I have tried the econ thing, but does not seem to last. I have seen an article in a automotice magazine the identified the problem and the fix, but have yet to see it again, it also seems my windows have no tint, I am having them tinted, and am looking for insulation to wrap the a/c and the pipe to the dash duct's and still looking for the fix I had seem, the is a electronic part that fails, I suspect at heat, or rpm. Thanks for your relpy, I am not a Texan, but a friend of Texas, I have close, live time friends there, My son married a girl from Humble, has a home there, and my Grandson was born there, so he must be a Texan.

Take Care,

N7

If you any J30 info pass it on.

normseven
08-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Lonetxranger,

I lived in Plano TX from Jan 96 to Aug 99 as my son went to the U of Houston ( not realy a part of Texas acordiing to some Texan's ) when driving to and from Houston from Plano, it would start to blow warm air,
when we left from Plano to Palm Springs CA, I had masked all the side windows to keep out the sun, anyway with 660 miles of Texas to cross the car was warm by Midland, and I stopped to let it cool down and eat,
as we were pulling out it started to rain ahead and it cooled the temp down to 70 and we crusied to Tucson with the windows open, and from there ran at night as the desert here is 110 the whole way. I have tried the econ thing, but does not seem to last. I have seen an article in a automotice magazine the identified the problem and the fix, but have yet to see it again, it also seems my windows have no tint, I am having them tinted, and am looking for insulation to wrap the a/c and the pipe to the dash duct's and still looking for the fix I had seem, the is a electronic part that fails, I suspect at heat, or rpm. Thanks for your relpy, I am not a Texan, but a friend of Texas, I have close, live time friends there, My son married a girl from Humble, has a home there, and my Grandson was born there, so he must be a Texan.

Take Care,

N7

If you any J30 info pass it on.

J30 A/C Update, I am still looking for an A/C fix, I used the on-board computer and ran diaganotics on the J30 saturday morning, everthing passed, after step 5 there is an option to lower the temperature, I made this adjustment from -1 to -6, the max it will permit, I was a hot muggy day in Palm Springs over 100 degrees and around 40 percent humidty, anyway the car A/C was ice cold around town. On sunday I took it for a 3 hour run to the Salton Sea and back, going there the A/C worked fine and I had to take it off auto by lowering the fan as it was cold, however on the return, the car started to heat up, trying all of the modes it still was not cooling the car, there was cold air at the ducts, but the fan was not pushing the air anymore. When I got home I shut the car down long enought for my wife to get out and ran the computer again, all tested good, and when I drove the car to the grocery store the air was blowing ice cold again. I have checked and there are several relays and suspect the relay is failing from either heat or RPM, as this happened at hight speed, and has down it several times after running at highway speed.

Do anyone have any ideas, consumer reports and Motor Trend say there are issues on the 93, that are not there on the 94-97, but no one has the fix posted. Help please, anyway I just tinted the windows and the looks and runs great for aorund town in Palm Springs, but I can make runs to the beach in it with out this problem, I do not want the dealer to gaulge me.

Thanks,

N7

Add your comment to this topic!