Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C is killing my engine power

pepsihatman
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Just wanted to ask:

When the air conditioning is on in your tegs (specifically GSR's) do you really feel a huge power loss? I am talking one that almost doesn't allow you to accelerate before 2,700 or so. It seems to bog the engine down so much when I use the a/c. It really doesn't pick up til 3k.. and I hate reving to that during daily driving. Normally (no a/c) I rev to 2,700 or so and shift. Can't do this with the a/c on. It's getting really annoying, so I was wondering if it was normal. Thanks.

boosted k20
07-07-2005, 10:29 PM
i had that problem when i tuned my car for nitrous with the timing retarded and had the AC on. car felt like it had no power at all. check ur timing. advance it a bit on the dizzy if u cant do it from the ecu. set it to like 18 degrees

pepsihatman
07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
What do you mean advance it on the ECU? I have a stock ECU only intake and header mods. I'll check the timing sometime tomorrow probably, have to borrow my friend's timing light.

boosted k20
07-07-2005, 10:42 PM
if u had a chipped ecu u could advacne the timing with a program like uberdata, but since ur run n stock, just advance the dizzy

pepsihatman
07-07-2005, 10:45 PM
What's the normal timing supposed to be... 16, 15, 12 degrees?

boosted k20
07-07-2005, 11:35 PM
16*, timing should be at the red mark on the crank pulley btw the two white lines. u want to set it on the white line closest to the front of the car when u turn the dizzy to set it at 18*

Ace$nyper
07-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Not that much in my car but I feel a tiny bit i'm also moving about 800 lbs less, and have little more work.

pepsihatman
07-08-2005, 05:20 PM
16*, timing should be at the red mark on the crank pulley btw the two white lines. u want to set it on the white line closest to the front of the car when u turn the dizzy to set it at 18*

Roger. Thanks.

CRXGRETH
07-08-2005, 07:13 PM
its normal for it to feel like it is lagging power due to the fact that wit the ac on it is now spinning the clutch inside the ac and when it is off it is not spinning the clutch but when u hit 2700 the computer turn that clutch off so u have the power. have u ever felt the ac get a lil warm when u jump on it that is because it turn that clutch off so u have power.

xblastxb16
07-09-2005, 02:56 AM
if your engine bogs down its most likely not your ac if it only happens when you at a certain rpm it might be bad sparks or plugs, fuel filter, IAC valve or one of your cylinders isn't hitting check for wierd exhaust sounds hope i helped

pepsihatman
07-09-2005, 12:01 PM
The sound coming from the engine is like me pushing the gas hard, but it's not moving the revs. Kinda gets a low groaning tone, and pushing the gas farther slows it down more, but letting off makes it better.... it's really weird. It sometimes happens when I'm cruising at 40 mph with a/c on, I push the gas, and at a certain point it starts to slow down, and I let off and it gets a little more powerful.... any idea what that is?

xblastxb16
07-09-2005, 01:42 PM
i've heard a few times it may have something to do with the computer but start small an inexspensive an work your way up so you dont replace stuff that doesn't need to be replaced but i myself, would disconnect the ac an see if the problem is still there. it would suck but at least you'll know for sure. GOOD LUCK THOUGH !!!

AngelsHolocaust
07-10-2005, 12:21 AM
yeah i just dont use the a/c because it just robs me of power so much

pepsihatman
07-10-2005, 11:09 AM
yeah i just dont use the a/c because it just robs me of power so much

I live in NC, and the temperature for the past few days has been 90+... can't go without it.

AngelsHolocaust
07-10-2005, 11:21 AM
yeah its been like that too for the past month here in chicago..and im telling you that black leather is NOT forgiving

xblastxb16
07-10-2005, 07:24 PM
what i ment was not to remove it completely but remove the belt long enough too see if thats your problem then put it back if it isnt. its the cheapest way to find out yourself. what NC city or state? cause i live in NC in south san diego.

pepsihatman
07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
what i ment was not to remove it completely but remove the belt long enough too see if thats your problem then put it back if it isnt. its the cheapest way to find out yourself. what NC city or state? cause i live in NC in south san diego.

As in the state, North Carolina. I've been busy in teh past few days so I've not had time to check any of this... I might get to the timing thur or fri.. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything. Thanks for the advice.

HoNdAgUrUecp
07-10-2005, 07:55 PM
When you say that you floor it at 40 ant it bogs down, are you down shifting when you do that. If you sit there in 4th gear and flor it your not going to go anywhere fast. YOu normanly have to down shift to do so.

pepsihatman
07-10-2005, 09:18 PM
When you say that you floor it at 40 ant it bogs down, are you down shifting when you do that. If you sit there in 4th gear and flor it your not going to go anywhere fast. YOu normanly have to down shift to do so.

Oh I know. I'm not flooring it, just pushing it to a certain point (5th gear) and seeing that the power actually drops off if I give it too much gas, not just stays the same. I actually get worse performance.

Add your comment to this topic!