Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

can't pass smog test 97 pathy evap code

debbie vespe
06-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi all,
I just got rid of my sway problem and now working on my evap problem.
I am told that the charcoal has gone through the whole evap system and needs to be replaced, 1000.00 dollars of replacing! I am just sick, Nissan had me waiting in there showroom, trying to sell me a new pathy.
I waited 2 hours for them to tell me it needed 2000.00 of work to it, evap system and sway problem. They told me "I should just junk it!" I said JUNK IT, how do you junk a 97 nissan pathy?? I will never go back to that place again. I like my Pathy, so i would like to try and fix it without everyone always trying to charge me my shirt and pants! Does anyone know anything about this problem and how to fix it? Thanks DEBBIE EMAIL: vespe14@yahoo.com

lewisnc100
06-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Debbie, the fix isn't that difficult, but it will be tedious. You'll need to use an air compressor and one by one disconnect the EVAP lines and blow the charcoal out. You'll also need to check all the EVAP components along the way and probably clean charcoal out of them. At the very least you'll need to buy a new charcoal canister and possibly a new vent control valve if the old one does not come off the canister. You should probably just change it since it is cheap and a component that fails. I've posted the part#s for the 97 canister and valve before, let me know if you can't find them. Hopefully the other EVAP components are fine once cleaned up. Best case you're out ~ $100 in EVAP parts and time to blow out the lines and components.

Here is the service procedure with the steps and diagrams, good luck.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2000/NTB00-085.htm

debbie vespe
06-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Debbie, the fix isn't that difficult, but it will be tedious. You'll need to use an air compressor and one by one disconnect the EVAP lines and blow the charcoal out. You'll also need to check all the EVAP components along the way and probably clean charcoal out of them. At the very least you'll need to buy a new charcoal canister and possibly a new vent control valve if the old one does not come off the canister. You should probably just change it since it is cheap and a component that fails. I've posted the part#s for the 97 canister and valve before, let me know if you can't find them. Hopefully the other EVAP components are fine once cleaned up. Best case you're out ~ $100 in EVAP parts and time to blow out the lines and components.

Thank You so much for all this info. I have a list of parts nissan said that it needed: Canister 141.67, purge valve 99.00, control valve 182.87, filters 38.98, cut valve 79.54, lines 13.00, there was a few more but I don't remember all there names. It was around 600.00 just for the parts they told me. If I can get them cheaper Please let me know.
Thank You so much, Debbie

debbie vespe
06-24-2005, 03:03 PM

Thank You so much for all this info. I have a list of parts nissan said that it needed: Canister 141.67, purge valve 99.00, control valve 182.87, filters 38.98, cut valve 79.54, lines 13.00, there was a few more but I don't remember all there names. It was around 600.00 just for the parts they told me. If I can get them cheaper Please let me know.
Thank You so much, Debbie

lewisnc100
06-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Canister 141.67, purge valve 99.00, control valve 182.87, filters 38.98, cut valve 79.54, lines 13.00

Debbie, those prices seem very high. Also, I would start with what you know needs to be replaced and then only replace parts after that when cleaning didn't help. For the 97 there were two versions of the canister and vent control valve depending on mfg date. The older version is much more expensive than the newer version. But if you replace both the canister and valve together you can use the newer version. These part #s are:

Canister 149501S718 $59.87
Vent Control Valve 1493554U04 $24.19

Those were the prices when I ordered them from everythingnissan.com last year. Your canister is located behind your driver's side rear wheel and will need quite a bit of penetrating oil on the bolts to get it off. I'd go with those parts first, blow out the lines and clean the other EVAP parts, then see where you're at with any error codes.

Also you seriously might want to consider another dealer service dept. or independent mechanic. From the comments you've gotten about junking your car and $600 in parts for this well known problem I would not trust them.

CT18fireman
11-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Is this the same part number for a 98 Pathfinder canister?

lewisnc100
11-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Should be the same, but you'll want to verify that. Also I bought both the canister and vent control valve for under $100 a couple years ago. The canister has stayed about the same price but the vent control valve has tripled for some reason.

CT18fireman
11-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Well I called around yesterday, gave them the year and then asked them to confirm part number. It was the same. I called 3 dealerships all within say a half hour. All three had it in stock with 3 different prices ranging from $55 to $90, which just cracks me. Why such a range? Oh well I guess I know where I will be going.

lewisnc100
11-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Are you planning on just buying the canister? Have you checked the vent control value bolts, they usually just spin in the canister and require you to change both parts at the same time. Maybe you'll get lucky on yours.

CT18fireman
11-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Mine came right out. The canister bolts themselves also came right out. This is a very clean Pathfinder only 72,000 miles Original exhaust, no rust very clean. I was surpisd when I slid underneath all the suspension, bolts and underbody are very clean.

manny3000gt94
03-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I need some help guys....i have a 3000gt 94....and i was wondering if you can still pass smog with no airbags??????????? reply to me ASAP if you know.thanks

Add your comment to this topic!