Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 Probe GL 2.2L Check Engine Light

Bobbo35
06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Hello all,

A strange problem here. I just aquired a mint 1992 GL 2.2l (non turbo) 5speed w/ 35k miles on it, original everything, a real "grocery getter" that was only driven on Sundays.... really! It drives & runs great (after the normal maintenance, brakes, tires, fluid changes, etc) but has started an annoying problem lately that I can't seem to pin down.

It'll be running fine, then the check engine light will come on periodically, and the engine seems to lose power, but not stall. It almost feels like it's starving for gas. It'll most often happen when upshifting, I'll go from 1st to second, hit the gas, & it just dies unless I feather the gas pedal a bit, then it picks up & goes just fine. Also, when sitting at a redlight and the light comes on, the idle will jump up to 1200 or so & sit there, then drop back down after 30 seconds or so. Best part is that I can reproduce it fairly easily... start the car cold, run to the store a few miles away, shut it off & go in, come back out a couple minutes later & start the car. It'll start fine, pull away fine, then when I hit second / third gear it'll just about die for a few seconds, then pick up & run fine after that. Other times it'll cruise highway for 30-45 minutes no problem, then just start acting up. I've changed the fuel filter, checked for fuel pressure at the injector rail, and looked for obvious problems, can't seem to find any.

Is there a way to read the onboard computer in this year, & would it store the fail codes? Local shop says they don't have the proper "connector" for that year Probe, and I hate to bring a 13+ y.o. car to a dealership.... I see the $$$$ in their eyes!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

shawnwilliams
06-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Possible your fuel pump. Probably b/c the person before you barely used it and didn't drive it to the floor, and the pump was never really used, so it could of just went when you punched it. Or you just need to drive it, i mean drive it and beat the hell of it for 10 minutes for everything to kick in that it never has done.

shawnwilliams
06-14-2005, 12:29 PM
or you could have a coolant problem

NemesisGT
06-16-2005, 05:10 PM
possibly the fuel pump never had a high demand on it shawns way is the way to go or to get a new fuel pump from mazda to be safer

performanceprobe
06-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Hello all,

A strange problem here. I just aquired a mint 1992 GL 2.2l (non turbo) 5speed w/ 35k miles on it, original everything, a real "grocery getter" that was only driven on Sundays.... really! It drives & runs great (after the normal maintenance, brakes, tires, fluid changes, etc) but has started an annoying problem lately that I can't seem to pin down.

It'll be running fine, then the check engine light will come on periodically, and the engine seems to lose power, but not stall. It almost feels like it's starving for gas. It'll most often happen when upshifting, I'll go from 1st to second, hit the gas, & it just dies unless I feather the gas pedal a bit, then it picks up & goes just fine. Also, when sitting at a redlight and the light comes on, the idle will jump up to 1200 or so & sit there, then drop back down after 30 seconds or so. Best part is that I can reproduce it fairly easily... start the car cold, run to the store a few miles away, shut it off & go in, come back out a couple minutes later & start the car. It'll start fine, pull away fine, then when I hit second / third gear it'll just about die for a few seconds, then pick up & run fine after that. Other times it'll cruise highway for 30-45 minutes no problem, then just start acting up. I've changed the fuel filter, checked for fuel pressure at the injector rail, and looked for obvious problems, can't seem to find any.

Is there a way to read the onboard computer in this year, & would it store the fail codes? Local shop says they don't have the proper "connector" for that year Probe, and I hate to bring a 13+ y.o. car to a dealership.... I see the $$$$ in their eyes!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

pull your codes by grounding the STI connector on the drv,side strut tower,its a red wire w/white stripe,ground this wire off,then turn key to start position,if you have any codes,they will start flashing at this time.

Add your comment to this topic!