Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 impala ran it out of gas does not start anymore??

Ctijerina
06-06-2005, 03:46 PM
ran car out of gas, put more gas back in and does not want to start anymore any suggestions on what to do or look for???

victimizati0n
06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
this problem usually is because the fuel pump isnt primed.

how long are you cranking it for? it might take a while.

montecarlossfan
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM
fuel injected should start right away see if u can hear a whine when u turn the key forward but not starting it, if not check the fuel pump fuse/relay

slacker_53
06-22-2005, 03:47 PM
First of all, it isn't good to run any of the late models out of gas. The gasoline actually helps cool the pump (it's located in the tank) and if you run the car out of gas, you risk burning up your fuel pump.

That said, there is a fuel pump reset on your car somewhere, I'm not sure where, but your owners manual should tell you. Maybe you'll luck out and be back in business by reseting it.

-slacker

bermis519
06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I did the same thing to my impala also...i don't realize it has a gas gauge in it until the low fuel light comes on...i'm terrible for not paying attention to it. But to the point...i had the same problem with it not starting.....i finally took my finger nail and pressed on the thing that looks like the stem on a tire...i pressed on it until gas was in the fuel rail.....took a bit..but it finally started squirting everywhere....and then with a few attempts of starting it...it finally started...ran like shit for about a minute and then it was fine. But lesson was learned on my part and it's only happened once...(knock on wood).

mike

Add your comment to this topic!