Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Cold sometimes.....

Tespin
05-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Took it to the mech and they are saying I should replace the Evaporator Core.

Its not a freon issue and you can hear the compressor turn on.

My questions are .....
Does the Evaporator go bad normally?
How much do think it should be to fix?
What else should I look for?

My Truck:
'01 Isuzu Rodeo
3.2L V6 125,000 miles

amigo-2k
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
I haven't heard of any evaps going bad.

But since you live in FL and have 125k that means yours has a lot of hours on it.

Cat Fuzz
05-25-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm no A/C expert, but from what I understand an evaporator core is nothing more than the opposite of a heater core. Its simply a passage way for the freon with fins on it to blow air thru. I don't see how it could cause your a/c to only work sometimes. I smell a rat mechanic. They prolly found a loose connection on your a/c clutch wiring and are gonna charge you boat loads of labor to replace the core, spend 5 minutes on the wires and make loads of dough.

suvguy
05-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Evaporators do not go bad. It is either clogged with leaves/debris from being sucked the air inlet or the orifice tube is clocked or the thermostat is not working properly. Another problem could be bent or clogged/dirty condenser in front of the radiator. That will reduce efficiency and how cold the air gets. Should be able to determine what the problem is by watching the high and low side pressures while operating. Too much refrigerant will cause a similar problem of not-so-cold air.

suvguy

Took it to the mech and they are saying I should replace the Evaporator Core.

Its not a freon issue and you can hear the compressor turn on.

My questions are .....
Does the Evaporator go bad normally?
How much do think it should be to fix?
What else should I look for?

My Truck:
'01 Isuzu Rodeo
3.2L V6 125,000 miles

Add your comment to this topic!