Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clear coat on black plastic....

dmbrisket 51
04-22-2005, 02:23 PM
i was told that if i clear coated the painted plastic on my truck, the black will have the color drawen out of it, is that true? tia
Doug

rlith
04-23-2005, 07:26 AM
No... But if you clear coat the black plastic, you better damn well polish the plastic to perfection or any imperfections are going to be there for ever..

movin2stereo
04-23-2005, 09:23 AM
No,I never heard of such a thing.As long as the piece is painted from factory you'll be fine.You will have to scuff the paint with a gray scuff pad first so that the clear will stick.Now if it's bare plastic you would need to scuff and use a plastic primer.Otherwise the clear would fall off.

dmbrisket 51
04-23-2005, 11:53 AM
i didnt think it would, just had to see what others thought, would i be better to use spray bomobs or go get a quort and spray it on with the gun?

movin2stereo
04-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Gun will always do a better job.On the other hand spray bombs are easier to deal with and if it's a small job it wouldn't make a big difference..What are you painting?

dmbrisket 51
04-23-2005, 01:55 PM
manual window cranks are silver, door speaker grill is black, behind the seat and the b piller is black, door sills are black faded to silver, kick pannels are silver, behind the door handles are silver, everything else is covered in fabric, seats are all thats left to do, but those are getting replaced with buckets from a blazer or bravada, and i was hoping to put a coat or 3 of clear on it and keep things like the cranks from having the paint peel off from the oil on my hands

movin2stereo
04-23-2005, 11:10 PM
You'll need to scuff those parts with a gray 3M scuff pad.Use the scuff pad(wet with water) with Ajax or Comet,something to that effect.This will help degrease and clean the parts as well as scuff them up.You will also need to spray a adhesion promoter on the parts before you paint.You could try that Krylon plastic paint.I never used used it but it says it will stick to plastic.

dmbrisket 51
04-24-2005, 11:57 AM
krylon is what is currently on the plastic parts and its holding up nicely, i was just hoping to finalize it and give it a nice shine

movin2stereo
04-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Well then,scuff them with a gray pad carefully.So you don't burn through your paint.Then clear them.

dmbrisket 51
04-24-2005, 09:15 PM
will do, thanks

Add your comment to this topic!