Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Losing power

Tedster
04-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi, I'm new here. I have an 85 Chevy S-10 pickup and yesterday i was driving it and it started lurching forward abruptly when i had my foot on the gas, I was going around 30mph and it got worse and worse until i couldnt drive it anymore. When I was in 1st or 2nd gear and I would step on the gas pedal, it would lose power, kinda like it was missing, and just lurch forward like a jackrabbit and when I stepped harder on the gas, it would shake worse, or just die. I could only go 5 mph or so, bouncing the whole time. So I stopped and was just idling in neutral and I stepped on the gas and revved the engine, but it wouldnt rev too high, it would lose power, felt like it had a rev limiter at 2500 rpms and it felt like it was flooded or something, but I dont think it was. I sprayed carb cleaner in the carb but that didnt help. I checked the spark plug wires, they were all connected. I had to get it towed home. Do you guys have any ideas? I know its hard to know from just writing. I dont think its tranny or clutch problems since its doing it in neutral too. Maybe the carburator is going bad? Its starts great, battery is good.
Thanks for your help.

jackass#1
04-21-2005, 05:02 PM
how long since tune up(plugs,wires,cap, rotor,fuel and air filtewrs)? check the fuel pressure. could be a dirty ecr valve.
is it carb and what size motor? i hope i gave you a few ideas or at least a good starting point.

Tedster
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey well it was something bad in the fuel, water maybe. I put some fuel cleaner and HEET water remover stuff in it and works great now. The truck has been sitting all winter and I forgot to put stabilizer inthe gas. :( But its good now, thanks.

Tedster
04-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Hm well its doing it again, I thought it was fixed. Its not so bad now though, its still driveable this time. It seems like it does it when I step on the gas about 1/4th of the way, especially in 2nd and 3rd gears. If I step on it more then it doesnt jerk so bad. And also now it dies at every stop light, or whenever I stop. Maybe the carb is going bad? I still have some bad gas in the tank from it sitting this past winter. So how easy is it to replace the fuel filters, I know theres about 2 of them right? Where are they? I have the manual but the diagram is hard to figure out. Its the carb with the 2.8 engine, 5spd. I did a tuneup about a year ago but didnt replace the fuel filters. What, and where is the ecr valve?
Thanks...

dmbrisket 51
04-25-2005, 12:39 PM
tuneup, from fuel filter to pvc, probibly needs to be done

Tedster
04-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Did a tune up last year, didnt even drive 3000 miles since then cuz i only drive it here and there... Where are the fuel filters? And I think you meant pvc, not pcv?.? :)
Thanks...

dmbrisket 51
04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
no i said what i ment, pvc is a plastic, pcv is your positive crancase valve

Tedster
04-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Sorry, I said the same thing you said, you said "tuneup, from fuel filter to pvc, probibly needs to be done"
Anyways the PCV valve has been replaced also. I'm thinking the EGR valve needs to be cleaned or replaced or the O2 sensors are bad....

To summarize, here are the exact symptoms. Starts up great but then it dies after a while. Start driving and it backfires and shudders and jolts, and starts slowing down because of the lack of power. Pressing on the accelerator only causes the engine to stutter more. Hitting the accelerator repeatedly kind of helps jolt the car forward, but I can't see this being good for the tranny. Now when I'm driving, if I gently press the accelerator, the engine stumbles a bit, then recovers. If I press it really gently, the engine really shudders. When I step on it harder, it doesnt do it so bad. If I try to drive it up a hill - no way- not enough power- it stumbles badly.

blazer94
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
sounds like you may want locate the fuel inlet line from your fuel pump, should be a metal line , (on the Rochesters I believe it is in the front of the carb.) You need 2 wrenches, (a flared end wrench is great to have) to remove this filter. Wait until the engine is cooled down, and have rags on hand to catch the spilled fuel.when you put this back to gether, use thread sealing tape on the threads for re-assembly. Exercise caution, do not cross thread or strip em, you'll have a whole new headache.

Tedster
04-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Hm Thanks, so is that where the fuel filter is? Or at least one of them? Where is the other? Are there any photos or diagrams out there on the web for this?
Thanks.

blazer94
04-25-2005, 04:14 PM
my 1984 only had 1 filter, the one in the carb housing. if you have the manual, look in chapter one (haynes) under tune up procedures, or check on the web for a parts diagram for a Rochester carb. You probably have either the E2SE or 2SE.

Tedster
04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
So where's the egr vave in this thing? Its on the carb right?

blazer94
04-26-2005, 09:39 AM
remove your air cleaner assy, and you should be able to see it, it has an electric connector that runs to the egr solenoid.

Tedster
04-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Ughgh its still dying if I dont have my foot on the gas. I played around with the idle screw and the fast idle screw but nothing helped. Looks like the fuel filter is on the side of the carb, not like it says in the book. Ughgh i hate it, driving me nuts.

blazer94
04-26-2005, 04:23 PM
at this point, since you haven't found the egr or replaced the fuel filter, you may want to find a local mechanic that you can speak with, or see if any of your friends have any automotive maintenance experience.

Tedster
04-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Well I found the fuel filter, gonna replace it today. I cleaned the pcv valve, it was ok, I put it in a yr ago or so. Put in a new air filter. And messed with the idle screw and the fast idle screw and fixed that, it doesnt die anymore so I'm glad.

Add your comment to this topic!