Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Failed Smog, High CO% but Code 44 Lean Mixture? Help Please!

knishiya
04-15-2005, 10:20 PM
I just took my 82 2.8 to smog today here in sunny california. Failed tests= High CO% (3.51) at 2500 RPM. All other emissions fine. The other things that failed were Check Engine light - reads Code 44 (O2 sensor indicates Lean). ALso EGR functional failed, mechanic said that it will not open if the Check Engine light is on.

It also misses at idle, but drives good, doesnt smoke. New plugs (went to AC Delco 44's rather than 43's), wires, cap, rotor, oil. put in a 180 thermostat over stock 195.

If the CO reads high (rich) why does the Code 44 (o2 reading lean) come on? Seems odd. THe o2 sensor was replaced a year ago because of similar smog problems, but high HC. So its a relatively new sensor.

One thing i noticed was that the coolant temperature sensor wires are all melted and are crap, the connector is putty and needs replaced. when i wiggled the wires a code 14 popped up. could this be affecting everything, keeping the system in closed loop, running extra rich?

Could it be a slight exhaust manifold leak?
Could it be the ECM wiring connections? How do you test or check for this, especially at certain terminals?

Lots of questions, sure could use the help.

OverBoardProject
04-16-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't know about with a carburated motor but with a fuel injected motor either the oxy sensor or teh wireing goint to the coolant temp sensor could cause your problems with emissions

If the computer thinks that it's still cold it'll constantly give it more fuel to help warm it up

and if the computer thinks that it's running lean it'll try giving it what it thinks is the right amount of fuel

knishiya
04-19-2005, 06:16 PM
i replaced the coolant temperature sensor today. wiring is good now. However, code 44 still pops up. It had a newer O2 sensor. i think replaced last year. However, im going to buy a new one. Only $22. We'll see if it helps. Im now wondering if it is the ECM?

J-Ri
04-19-2005, 10:38 PM
CO increases with a misfire. Since it's running rough at idle, I'd say you have a misfire. Also, your O2 sensor only measures oxygen, so a misfire (although dumping HCs into the exhaust) makes it read lean.

crazycory1
04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
timing issue?

knishiya
04-21-2005, 03:45 PM
at the smog pre check. the timing was fine. yesterday replaced the coolant sensor and wiring, O2 sensor and today i replaced the egr valve. gonna take it for a spin and probably add something to the gas. maybe guaranteed to pass or ethanol.

whitetrash982
04-22-2005, 12:42 AM
wit the egr , no only replace the valve but clean out all the passages too...after yaers and thousands of minles , crap builds up in there and will make it still not pass...and as for fuel , ive HEARD good things about gurenteed to pass...ethanol...never heard of stuch a trick...but if you ever had tried puttin race gas in it , tha maght have foulded your o2 sensor....some ppl put race gas in the tank and crank up the timing for a week to have a good ol time - but what they dont relize is , is that race gas has lead in it - which will very quickly foul an O2 sensor....so you if try ethanol , i have absolutly no idea if it has lead in it , but make sure if it does or doesnt before you try

Add your comment to this topic!