Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hello Folks

Deacon328
04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
New to these boards, I have a boring 2003 Impala, Black on Grey, I am trying to add some aftermarket parts to make it look better.

I like the tinted windows, those go on next week. I ordered some smoked headlight covers and a rear spoiler.

I wanted to get the blackout kit piece for the rear tail lights but can't find that thing anywhere! Does anyone know where you can get one?

Also I heard that if you change your stereo you will screw up your onboard computer, any truth to this? I want to take out my puny piece of fluff tape playing radio and put a little thump in my ride, or at least a friggin CD player.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
04-10-2005, 11:17 AM
they make a kit for the rear tail lights go here Graphics (http://www.crazygraphics.com/impala/)
also if you have a RDS radio it removing it will mess with stuff ie oil change light if it is a RDS radio and you want to be able to change your settings i suggest moving it to the trunk also you can go to impala hq (http://www.impalahq.com/) for anyother info you need

Deacon328
04-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Monster....thanks a whole lot! I ordered the whole 5 piece kit. I really appreciate the information!

MCO_Death
04-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Monster hit it all right on. You can do the radio moving yourself or have some audioshop do it for you. Cost me ~100 or less for a install with the radio move.

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
04-11-2005, 07:29 AM
heres another tip go out and pick up a couple cans of dupli color trim & bumper paint and give all your trim a couple coats it's effect is huge you can even get it in different colors

MCO_Death
04-11-2005, 08:26 AM
heres another tip go out and pick up a couple cans of dupli color trim & bumper paint and give all your trim a couple coats it's effect is huge you can even get it in different colors

How do you go about applying it? Brush on? Gun? Likely have to mask around the trim before painting as well i'd imagine... (givin me ideas, especially dealing with making an all-black grill as opposed to buying one)

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
04-11-2005, 08:45 AM
How do you go about applying it? Brush on? Gun? Likely have to mask around the trim before painting as well i'd imagine... (givin me ideas, especially dealing with making an all-black grill as opposed to buying one)

yeah just mask it off then wipe it clean with some acitone or rubbing alcohol lol any over spray can easily be removed from the paint with some cleaner wax here at the shop i have 24" paper with the tape on it so it took about 10 mins to mask the rear bumper and then about 20 mins to paint applying 3 coats giving about 5 mins in between depending on the temp i imagine the grill would be a little different you would have to completely remove it then take a scotch brite pad do it and knock off the shine or the paint would not adhere i would get a hige quality primer and shoot it with that first

it comes in a spray can check here Duplicolor (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bumper.html)
there are several colors also
FB 105 Black
FB 106 Gray
FB 107 Tan
FB 108 Medium Silver
FB 109 Dark Charcoal

MCO_Death
04-11-2005, 04:50 PM
yeah just mask it off then wipe it clean with some acitone or rubbing alcohol lol any over spray can easily be removed from the paint with some cleaner wax here at the shop i have 24" paper with the tape on it so it took about 10 mins to mask the rear bumper and then about 20 mins to paint applying 3 coats giving about 5 mins in between depending on the temp i imagine the grill would be a little different you would have to completely remove it then take a scotch brite pad do it and knock off the shine or the paint would not adhere i would get a hige quality primer and shoot it with that first

it comes in a spray can check here Duplicolor (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bumper.html)
there are several colors also
FB 105 Black
FB 106 Gray
FB 107 Tan
FB 108 Medium Silver
FB 109 Dark Charcoal

Very helpful, I may just do that this summer (also considering making the tail-lights black like the LS/SS etc) But that job seems straight forward enough. I really need to start making a list of what I need to do and then take plenty of pics when I do change something :D :sunglasse

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
04-11-2005, 08:04 PM
im kinda lucky i guess with the shop here even after working on cars 14 hours a day i still find time lol tail lights should be body color by the end of next week and the body kit will soon follow check it out here combat body kit (http://www.andysautosport.com/module.php?act=kp&line=00-04%20Chevy%20Impala%20Combat%20Kit&cid=Ch00Impala&brand=AAS)

MCO_Death
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
im kinda lucky i guess with the shop here even after working on cars 14 hours a day i still find time lol tail lights should be body color by the end of next week and the body kit will soon follow check it out here combat body kit (http://www.andysautosport.com/module.php?act=kp&line=00-04%20Chevy%20Impala%20Combat%20Kit&cid=Ch00Impala&brand=AAS)

Can't say im a fan of the grill and body kit like that, but thats just me. I think that car needs to be lowered or something? MIGHT look better then.

Say... they don't make the tail-light covers in my cars color (green/forest green whatever you want to call it). :(

bigrod118
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
so buy them and take them somewhere to match it or paint them yourselves if you feel up to it. and body shop would be able to match the paint and make the the right color for you.

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
04-12-2005, 05:23 PM
so buy them and take them somewhere to match it or paint them yourselves if you feel up to it. and body shop would be able to match the paint and make the the right color for you.

NO NO NO NO

when i get my kit all give you all the dememsions go to a graphics shop and get them to cut it for you if you paint it after 6 months it will look like shit you could also go black or call them see if they have green

Deacon328
04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Monster is right, and additionally if you buy the higher grade vinyl it usually lasts for about 4 - 5 years. I built a motorcycle trike and had vinyl all over it and it lasted years.

Also take your paint code into them, if you don't know your code just call any chevy parts department and give them your VIN.

Any graphics company worth a dime will be able to almost exatly match your paint color, green would give it a smooth look, black would look good to but green would be unique.

Daemien

MCO_Death
04-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Monster is right, and additionally if you buy the higher grade vinyl it usually lasts for about 4 - 5 years. I built a motorcycle trike and had vinyl all over it and it lasted years.

Also take your paint code into them, if you don't know your code just call any chevy parts department and give them your VIN.

Any graphics company worth a dime will be able to almost exatly match your paint color, green would give it a smooth look, black would look good to but green would be unique.

Daemien

Loads of useful advice here. Green certinly would be unique. I'll have to figure out how much it will all cost me, as it stands I need some touch-up work done on some parts of the car ( Losing paint on mirrors and bumpers and a few rock spots >:0 )

Add your comment to this topic!