Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ST205 Oil problems?

odirikoo
03-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Any idea guys:

The engine on the ST205 (1996) seems to be using oil and it would look like it is actually coming into the intake? Could it be a seal in the turbo? If so is this an easy fix, or better to buy a recon/new unit?

Thanks
Paul

nialusa
03-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Blown turbo oil seals isnt good as it more often than not leads to other damage within the turbo, make sure it is a blown turbo oil seal before you proceed as they are expensive, but a recon turbo is in order. Check you havnt over filled with oil, somtimes it blows from the rocker cover vent which feeds into the inlet piping, also check its not coming from the rocker cover gasket, dip stick is in correctly (sometimes the gt4 throttle cable pulls it out as they rub) If it is a blown turbo seal you will see blue smoke in your exhaust gases.

LaYzIeNoY
03-31-2005, 09:46 PM
ya check the oil vent tube [can't remember the correct name]

the engine routs the blow by back into the intake, so one try get a oil catch can [can be cheap or expensive if you want a pretty name brand], also if you over fill oil it will escape by the only route it can the intake

check the tube going to the intake from valve cover for oil, maybe instal l a can and see if it catches anything

I've read on other forums the GT4/alltrac is notorious for this

i've seen it happen on Sr20det's as well, a friend of mine added too much oil and figured his turbo was going, well after replacing it the problem came back and i suggested the catch can becuase i got one and saw what it caught

Add your comment to this topic!