Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LPG Conversion

kingarthur2
03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Has anyone had experience of the Transport 3.1 V6 engine after conversion to run on LPG and Petrol. Any adverse results and/or undue wear and tear on the engine components. Be glad to hear your comments.

Zebe9
03-31-2005, 01:36 AM
Actually 3.1 is the easiest choice for LPG.
Remember though to install some 'electronics' to help OBD1 manage converted engine.
1.idle motor on lpg supply line
2.efficient reductor
3.relevant mixer (this additional THING mounted onto the intake)-good if experienced guy could advise sth - I saw doublehole one-to let LPG in directly from above the injectors.
4.Require emission testing on exhaust and DO NOT let 'overlean' the mixture (for expected 'cost savings') - quickly you could burn out valve seats or could damage head gasket.
reagrding the lpg tank: ca.60L(depending on manufacturer) toroidal
tank mounted instead of spare tyre is still safe.
Then you could expect (depending strongly also on above factors)
18-20L/CTY and 11-13L/HWY.Proven.

No problem to answer your questions reg. Pontiac/LPG conversion.
(Have sequential injected lpg on TS'96 3.4 runs good, computer controlled, 15L/CTY).

Zebe9
03-31-2005, 01:39 AM
Uh-How could I forget:
possibly O2 sensor emulator (to fool OBD1) may be needed also.
In 3.1 theres only one,isnt it ?
Depending on emission test.

Paul Taylor
03-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Well my 1993 Trans Sport SE 3800 TPI V6 has a "Tartarini Tec97" LPG system, and she runs absolutely great on it.

The kit included a 65L tank. Total cost was £1800 including the fitting. There is a little loss in HP but its not that noticeable. But at 39p a Litre for LPG i dont care !!.

Paul Taylor.

Add your comment to this topic!