Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 GT Stalling, sputtering, you name it......

Bobert
03-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Recently bought 95 Probe GT 5 Speed.

As you should know this a 2.5 V6. 24 valve.

The problem I am having is that after about 30-40 miles of non stop (highway) driving it begins to act up. Sputtering, backfiring and bogging down. Eventually witihin 10-15 miles from when the problem starts I lose control of keeping the throttle high enough without bogging down the engine going from 70mph to 60mph to 50mph and so on.

If I let the vehicle sit long enough usually an hour or two I can go again and not have any hesitation at all...

Now I have been all over this forum and seen the same problem. Yet the solutions are not always the same.

Im going to guess that I should get the timing adjusted. I have replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter. I nurse the car meaning I am not very hard on the throttle and she gets Max-life Syn with every oil change....

Does anyone have any ideas or recomendations.... Do you think I am right w/ the timing?

Any help would be appreciated... Id smoke you out if live close enough

blindfoldedhope
03-20-2005, 01:43 AM
Try fuel filter first its cheap... then move on to pump then the plugs and wires and timing... i have a 2.0 and when i first bought it it would stall out at every light changed the fuel filter and i was fine... you might also check that your fuel pump relay switch is dry ive also had problems with mine shorting out... and causing the fuel to cut in and out... ooohh what fun times...

Bobert
03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
I have already changed the fuel filter and plugs and all that fun stuff... So tomorrrow I am going to get it to a shop and get the timing adjusted.

96probegt
03-22-2005, 02:15 PM
i had a hyudai sonata that did the same thing it had a bad valve but try the timing or u could run some seafoam through it to clean the injectors

Bobert
03-23-2005, 09:19 AM
So I got it to a shop.

My harmonic balacer is coming apart and shredding the belt. Ford wanted $305 for the part. I was able to find the same part but from Mazda for roughly $220. That part should be here tomorrow.

Once that is changed, the plugs and wires (never use Bosche) need to be changed again. Then I can have my timing looked at.

So cross your fingers. lets hope its the timing.

Ghostcloak
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Once that is changed, the plugs and wires (never use Bosche) need to be changed again. Then I can have my timing looked at.

What's wrong with Bosche? Lol.. I've got Bosche I-4 Platinum +4 in my 93 Probe SE along with Xact Wires/Plugs. I've got no problems with any of it....

Add your comment to this topic!