Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

POS Motor Now Shot. New One Comming. I Got Questions

Nitrous_Boy
03-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok my car finally died. 2000 Cavalier 2.2 163,000 miles. It is still running but not for more than about 4 blocks or so at a time. Anyway question.
I want to do a few things to it before i slap the damn thing in but i got a question or two first.

TB Spacer-Is it worth it?
Pulley Kits for 2.2? $120 or so but again is it worth it?

Ok so yea, i will use the intake i got now as well as the tranny thing. But any other nicely priced mods that i can do with the motor out. I searched around here and there but a little confused. If I save up the money a little i was to get my head done but we'll see about that.

Any sugestions

inarifennec
03-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Quoting Noshun here a few times. Try the "search" feature it works wonders.

Noshun- (on TB Spacers)

I wouldn't say so due to the design of the intake manifold. It's always worth looking for evidence of a gain but they do tend to work on V engines that don't have a long intek plenum. Otherwise the Vortex will be disturbed by the sharp angles in the intake manifold. You are more likey to just adversely affect you throttle response!

Sorry that should be intake plenum! Basically the air is spun into a mini cyclone and the idea is that will spin the fuel into it but due to the sharp baneds the air passes to get to the intake valve it would basically stop the cycloe effect. Also where fuel is injected into the mainfold it collects on top of the closed valve for a millisecond before the valve opens and sucks in the air, well at full throttle anyway when the injector kick in the tiny fraction of a second sooner to prevent a lean condition. So the air will not be causing any better mixing or extra fuel. The idea works a little with carbs but it would only really work on top of the carb where it can spin the airflow meaning that it will travel as fast down but also swirling aswell so it will pass the venturi at a higher speed sucking more fuel through! But the usually go below and it supposedly mixes it better but it doesn't really. Quick summary! Waste of money! also the fan type things, what are they called, Turbonator or something these more impede airflow than improve it in a similar way to the electric supercharger things on e-bay. Not to be confused with the electric supercharger Jackson McKnight are engineering right now! And not to be called an electric turbo as turbo gets it's name fro tubine which is always driven by a gas or liquid and not an electric motor from someone mom's old hair dryer!
-

Thanks to noshun for all that. but maybe he'll have something to add. Enjoy!

Nitrous_Boy
03-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks on the tb spacer. I have used a few on trucks here and there but they were all 305's and carb

-Jayson-
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
if you got the engine out, replace all the internals man! maybe a cam swap if they make any for the 2200. Build that baby up and then throw some FI on it. YOu should be in the low 14's.

Classicrocjunkie
03-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Go to www.j-body.org do a member search and look up ADLER He has a fully built 2.2 and pushing around 205hp out of his engine. I forgot what his 1/4 mile time was.

EnjukuRacing240sx
03-11-2005, 01:09 PM
14s more than likely

Nitrous_Boy
03-11-2005, 06:11 PM
i am not looking to build my motor up to much cause i have this fear of four cylinders. But i am looking for a little added power. 205 hp would be nice though. The motor i got comming is stock. i was thinking about taking the motor i got now that is fucked up and just building it up. then one day stick it back into my car. But i'd have to get another car cause the old truck is not cutting it with the gas miliage

Add your comment to this topic!