Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

installing tokico coilovers

nu-b94teg
03-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I just ordered a set of tokico illumna rak502 coilovers off ebay. I was just wondering if it is necessary to compress the factory springs when i take them off

whtteg
03-04-2005, 11:03 PM
If you are just taking the whole assembly out then no, you can remove the whole assembly without seperating the spring from the strut. Just remember DO NOT take the center nut off the strut ( the one that you put an alen wrench on to hold ot from turning).

nu-b94teg
03-05-2005, 04:49 PM
thanks,,,i really appreciate your help

b18ls
03-05-2005, 08:27 PM
You will only have to compress the springs if you plan to reuse the struts you have on now. This will not be an issue if you are getting a full coilover set. If you do need to compress your springs, you can get the tool for it from AutoZone. They make you leave a $40 deposit, but you get it back when you return it.

nu-b94teg
03-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys. Ijust found out that a guy I work with has a shop with lift, tools and all. He said he would let me use it for $100 a month. I just had to jump on that deal cuz the weather here has been so crappy and then he has all the air tools to make the job easier. I'm not just installing the coilovers but I'm also doing my Tsudo header and cat-back exhaust. I'm just worried about the header install. I've heard that those are a real pain in the ass, cuz its a one piece. Does anyone have any suggestions to make any of these installs easier?

whtteg
03-06-2005, 10:07 PM
With some of the 1pc headers you might have to take the radiator fan off, but most of them will go in without removing the fan. You just need to put it in from the bottom.

Add your comment to this topic!