Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3.1 versus 3.8 engine

kingarthur2
03-04-2005, 04:57 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Transport 3.8 lt 1992 model. I already drive a 1990 3.1 model.

Is the 3.8 a better engine than the 3.1.

I have been told that there is a small water leak from the rear of the engine and the water needs a little topping up every 5 or 6 days.

Is the 3.8 engine prone to leaks.

I live the UK so these vehicles are rare.

LMP
03-04-2005, 06:08 PM
THe 3.8 is generally reknown (and I agree) as the best V6 engine GM has ever made. The 3.8 is a real beast, boasts a lot of torque at low RPM and the 4 speed gear box that come with it is a delight. On top, the 3.8 Transport usually burns less fuel than the 3.1, specially because of the 4th speed which is an overdrive. It will rev no more than 1650 rpm at 60 mph.
The small leak you are talking makes me think of a known fragility with the intake manifold gasket. I have not had this problem with mine('93) , but I have heard about that problem specially in Oldsmobile and some other GM that have a slightly different intake manifold, but that might be the case too with the Transport. Hoiwever, there are all kind of hoses there for front and rear heaters and that might be the cause of the problem. Try to have a look...but it is quite crowded around there.
A leak is a leak and I consider that an annoyance, but the 3.8 is really not prone to head gasket failure - I have not seen that in that forum and in several other similarly engined car forums - Bonnevilles, Buicks and Oldsmobile - , contrary to the 3.1 that has a lively history of that sort.

daman
03-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Go with the 3800 :thumbsup: :iagree:

timguyli
03-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Id rather eat broken glass then buy another Gm product with a 3.1 engine! never again....

GTP Dad
03-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I have to agree with the 3.8. The earlier versions of the 3.8 had intake manifold problems but they seem to have solved that problem. The 3.1 is actually a 2.8 that has been modified either in bore or stroke to get the extra cubes. The 3.8 had been around for many years and has proven itself reliable and makes good power for its size.
3.8 all the way!!!!!!!

kingarthur2
03-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Many thanks for your informative replies and advice.

The 3.8 Transport 1993 model sold for $5130.00 here in the UK.

A bit pricey for a Transport I think.

I am stuck with my 3.1 model.

I find it hard to believe that a company the size of GM cannot make a reliable, powerfull and economical engine. I am slowly renewing the Transport month by month. Wheel bearings, ball joints, 3 alternators in 3 years, heater core, now the TCC on the transmission is playing up.

Are all american vehicles like this. They do have a bad press in the UK.

Add your comment to this topic!