Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Squeaking from blower motor

medicdave
03-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Hello All-

This is my first post here, so I apologize if this topic has already been addressed.

I have a 99 Intrigue with the 3.5L. Recently, I've noticed a cyclical squeaking coming from the passenger floorboard area, whenever the climate control is turned on. The squeaking frequency is directly related to the fan speed.

At this point, I'm assuming that a bearing is going bad somewhere in the blower assembly. I'd really like to replace this before it fails, since winters here are very cold!

Has anyone here had their blower motor assembly apart? If so, could you let me know how it's done, and how difficult it might be to replace?

Thanks much in advance,
[medic]Dave

87accordlxi
03-03-2005, 03:26 PM
It's most likely your blower motor. Mine squeaks a bit too. It's located on the passenger side underneath the dash.

Laser17
03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Mine squeaks occasionally too, sometimes slightly on the 4th setting, but on the 5th and 6th it doesn't, the first 3 forget it always squeaks anyway..i wouldn't worry about it that much, mines been doing this for the past 4 months since i bought the car, and its not that big of a deal to replace, you might even be able to do it yourself, heres a tip though, a telltail sign that it is going to go out, is the first couple of speeds no longer function, and only the high settings function, so I'd just wait and if certain speeds start to go then have it checked out

2Legit84
03-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Mine squeaks occasionally too, sometimes slightly on the 4th setting, but on the 5th and 6th it doesn't, the first 3 forget it always squeaks anyway..i wouldn't worry about it that much, mines been doing this for the past 4 months since i bought the car, and its not that big of a deal to replace, you might even be able to do it yourself, heres a tip though, a telltail sign that it is going to go out, is the first couple of speeds no longer function, and only the high settings function, so I'd just wait and if certain speeds start to go then have it checked out

If only certain speeds go, then all you need to replace is your resistor.....When I bought my intrigue, only two settings worked...Replaced the resistor and now it works like a charm.

Burnout524
03-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Mine squeeks all the time on the lowest setting only, but it still works. It's done this since November but I have had no problems with it yet. I hear the blower motor is a breeze to replace...especailly if your flexible since you'll be on the floor, upside-down when replacing it. Also, I hear if you are just replacing the blower motor, be sure not to damage the resistor, or else you'll have to replace that too.

99intriguePA
03-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Mine squeeked on low and I let it go and now it won't work on low at all. I removed the motor, which is pretty easy, and greased the bushings. This eliminated the noise but still don't have low, so I have to replace the resistor, which I understand is a pain.
Bob

medicdave
03-07-2005, 12:57 PM
The motor works at all speeds; this car has the automatic climate control, so I don't have a problem with any particular speed not functioning.

It's just a consistent squeaking, any time the motor runs, at any speed. Think at this point I'll try removing the motor and re-lubing the bushings, if that's easy. If that doesn't remedy the squeaking, I'll replace the motor...

Thanks all for your input...
[medic]Dave

Add your comment to this topic!