Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

recycled oil in a rebuilt 22r?

eduardo
02-26-2005, 08:28 PM
does anyone know what the effects would be of running the $.99 a qt. hd solid weight recycled oil in a newly rebuilt 22r opposed to what i filled it with initially, an approved multiple viscocity oil??

dstrick32
02-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I personally would use the recycled oil in my lawn mower, much less in a newly rebuilt engine!!

sassee
02-27-2005, 09:26 PM
That 22r will last forever..............if you take care of it that is! Go ahead and splurge for some good oil!

Kyle4130
03-02-2005, 01:23 AM
does anyone know what the effects would be of running the $.99 a qt. hd solid weight recycled oil in a newly rebuilt 22r opposed to what i filled it with initially, an approved multiple viscocity oil??

treat it with care and it will go forever and treat you well. try and take the cheap route and its going to cost you lost of money later.

eduardo
03-11-2005, 08:29 PM
thanks ya'll, your advice i beleive is quite logical! i was just curious if someone happened to have some off the wall information about recycled oil. the first thing people think of when the hear "recycled oil" is CRAP! i was just wondering though if this might be uninformed negative hype. but i guess it's just plain common sense! thank ya'll for responding!

sassee
03-13-2005, 09:22 PM
I'll catch a bunch of crap for this............

Most oil "re-refiners" in the U.S. do a good job cleaning the waste oils and ensuring they meet minimum viscosity standards. And YES, recyling oil is the responsible thing to do. Afterall, mother nature isn't making new crude oil (at least not at the rate we're pumping it out of the ground) The problem is that the U.S. EPA allows waste oils to contain up to 20 times the amount of toxic heavy metals as any other waste that would normally be deemed "hazardous" I can have a paint with 10 PPM (parts per million) of chromium or 15 PPM of lead and that material be deemed as hazardous. Yet I can have recyled oil with 100 PPM of lead and it is not considered a risk!!! Think about it....do you want Joe Blowe around the corner from you changing his own oil (and using recycled oil because he's a good citizen!) and then dumping the oil in the storm drain or pouring it out along his fence posts!!! Remember, 1 gallon of oil will pollute 1,000,000 gallons of water. Oils and other waste fluids can and should be recycled/reused. But recyled oils should be used as fuels for industrial furnaces or burners, not as lubricants. That's just my opinion! I know I should be in favor of recycled oils since, afterall, I AM AN ENVIRONMETAL ENGINEER. But, the difference is, I do have a little common sense!

Kyle4130
03-14-2005, 02:31 AM
i agree with what your saying. well put.

jbowerman76
04-04-2005, 04:49 PM
I am an environmental consultant up in Canada (Sudbury, Ontario, Canada to be exact) and agree with Sassee's view on recycled oil. Far to much permanent environmental damage has occurred.

corbinwaterski
04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
So are you saying that I can't pour my used oil out along my fence posts? What the hell? I like the look of my dirty, black, dead grass on my property line. Now what am I going to do.

Kyle4130
04-05-2005, 11:22 AM
So are you saying that I can't pour my used oil out along my fence posts? What the hell? I like the look of my dirty, black, dead grass on my property line. Now what am I going to do.

drink it?

Trons
04-05-2005, 11:52 AM
What are you guys talking about. I use it for cooking. You know, in my turkey frier, for stir fry. It's great. Everybody who comes over talks bout the unique flavor of my food.

Trons

Add your comment to this topic!