Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

speedometer bouncing

glh2001cav
02-26-2005, 08:10 AM
This the challenge: I have a 2001 cavlier 2.2 L 56000 miles, The problem occurs while im driving, my speedometer starts to go from a steady speed like say 60 mph then starts going wacky bouncing around up and dow it only does it once in a while not continious and also the engine feels like it starts to miss or like the trans acts funny but only while the speedometer bounces?
I have'nt tuned her up yet, I think its still factory. air cleaner is good I have the oil changed regularly. Has anyone experienced this ?

FormulaLT1
02-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Welcome to AF. Does your check engine light come on when this happens?.

John

ImSoYesterday
02-26-2005, 09:04 AM
By chance is it on icy or wet roads? This will happen while hydro-planing, or any situation where your drive tires are moving but you are not.

Just a thought.

noshun
02-26-2005, 10:20 PM
You have a bad ground somewhere. First place to check the starter, There are about 3 maind grounds at one of the mounting bolts for the starter, undoi these and clean the spades and bolts with rough sandpaper. Also check you battery connections, they may be corroded and need cleaning, disconect black first though always do!

Classicrocjunkie
02-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Your VSS is bad. Mine was doing the same thing once in a blue moon. I changed mine and hasn't done it since. It does feel like it could be ignition related because it felt like a missfire from the tranny jumpin through gears. It was doing it on mine when i would punch it and the car would need to downshift or even a full throttle

godenm
02-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Your VSS is bad. Mine was doing the same thing once in a blue moon. I changed mine and hasn't done it since. It does feel like it could be ignition related because it felt like a missfire from the tranny jumpin through gears. It was doing it on mine when i would punch it and the car would need to downshift or even a full throttle
EXACTLY!!! ive actually seen a piece of a gear tooth break off and stick to the magnet of the speed sensor and cause that same problem also

noshun
02-27-2005, 10:57 PM

The gears wouldn't 'jump-around' though as it's MT!

Classicrocjunkie
02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
^^ And where was that ever mentiond? I see nowhere stating that its a manual transmisson. Huh Huh??

noshun
02-28-2005, 05:18 PM
^^ And where was that ever mentiond? I see nowhere stating that its a manual transmisson. Huh Huh??

there I think!

Classicrocjunkie
02-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Randomly shifting in and out of gears on its own...

noshun
02-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Randomly shifting in and out of gears on its own...

Not on a manual!

Add your comment to this topic!