Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to disable the speed governer/limiter?

Classicrocjunkie
02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
How do I disable my speed governor / limiter?

In short, you don't. The topic of speed limiter removal can be discussed on this site due to a change in the sites position. While i am against this decision without being properly equipet, this is what i think and its going to be blantent and will be a firm statement as i can spell it out for you all. It is illegal to drive that fast. Of course the most common argument is that it will be for track purposes. In short, if you do have a car that is capable of trapping over 108, then you've apparently got enough knowledge that you should know how to get rid of the speed limiter on your own. It takes A LOT of work and A LOT of money to get a J-Body to trap 108+ in the 1/4 mile...ask anyone that has. Once you put that much into a car, you're sure to know how to do it. If you don't, maybe it's time to hit the books again. If you fit in this category, and really don't know, take a look at your service manual, specifically at the VSS sensor, and be creative.

If you still have an argument, please read the following. Please excuse the crude language, it is meant to be a shocking article.

So I'm on my way home from work today, and I realized I left something on my desk. @!#$. Well, at the time I was headed south on I-83 but fortunately hadn't passed the last exit. I get off the highway, loop around and get back on northbound to head back to work. Again...@!#$. I hate wasting time :(

Anyway, I merge back into traffic and get up to speed. Speed limit in this section of I-83 is 50MPH, but actual traffic speed is about 70. I head over to the fast lane and I'm tooling along for about a mile when I see this car coming up on me in my rear view mirror...FAST. There is a line of traffic in the lane next to me that I'm about 5 cars back from the front of. I look again and he's still closing fast...no signal or sign he's gonna pull off. I floor it and by the time I get past the head of that line of cars I'm doing over 90. I jump into the center lane and this guy's car was just a blur going by me. I was doing over 90MPH and he went by me like I was sitting still. I counted off the best I could when he passed the tenth-mile markers ahead of me...around 3 seconds per tenth-marker -- That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 120MPH! @!#$ tool.

We come to a section of the highway where it rounds a gradual turn, then goes downhill then back up. After rounding the curve you can see a good mile and a half ahead. All I see is this retard (still at full speed) weaving in and out of traffic, twice crossing all three lanes to get around people. Next thing I see is brake lights, swerving cars, smoke and lots of flashing lights. Then I realized I wasn't seeing any flashing lights...I was seeing the lights on the retard's car over and over again as it rolled repeatedly, then went end over end at least twice.

Fortunately for those of us with brains, all the swerving and locking up of brakes kept everyone at a safe distance from the destruction of this guy's car (now on it's roof laying off the shoulder into the median). Lots of people, including me, stopped and I ran up to what was left of the car with a couple other people. The guy was still in his seatbelt and still in the seat and SOMEHOW still alive and conscious. He popped the belt loose and crawled out the window and laid on the ground a bit, then got up and started walking around. Me and everyone else there was amazed that he was even alive, let alone walking. He looked to be about 18, and was pretty shaken up but seemed to be getting around ok. We kept telling him to sit down but he wouldn't.

So anyway, the police get there and start taking everyone's information and interviewing all of us that stopped. They got my address etc, then started asking me when and where I first saw him, how fast I was going and all that good stuff. I told the cop how fast I had been going, as well as the fact that I had to get up to 90+ just to get out of this guy's way and he STILL blew by me like I was in reverse. I said I thought he was going at least 120. The cop told me that their initial impression was that from the length of the highway this guy had @!#$ up rolling his car, plus the fact that it had gone end over end at least twice toward the END of it's roll they were guesstimating 130, but the accident investigators would figure it out exactly. I can hear the guy being asked questions by the cops as some paramedics are attending to him on the side of the road. he keeps telling them he "can't understand it...it just broke loose...it just broke loose...it's not supposed to break loose like that. It just got away from me and started spinning"

OK, so fast forward to now. I'm sitting here typing and reading, making sure I didn't miss anything to make sure everyone can get the full picture in their head of how ugly this was. The only thing I've missed is WHY DOES ANYONE CARE?

The car that blew by me at 120+ before getting some "custom body work" done was a 2003 Cavalier. Could be an '04, I dunno for sure...but the tails looked just like the ones on my brother's '03. Ive never seen '04 tails).

Yup, you heard right. A 2003 Cavalier, in all it's speed-limited glory. I wonder where he got the information on how to disable the governor. Being a Cavalier, I'd say there's a good chance it was on www.j-body.org who's rules are now in effect where the discussion of it is now forbiddon because of this issue.

In this litigious society of ours who knows what can happen now. If some dumb fuck can get millions for pouring coffee on her lap and being surprised that it's hot, who knows what could happen out of this. I'm just glad that nobody could point the finger at me for this one. Someone says "VSS mod" to me and I say "you're a fucking moron" to them. I'm in the clear on this one.

Now for the good part...

This part is for those of you that refuse to stop asking about "killing the governor", "I'm tired of civics beating me past 108" and every other variation of the question we hear here 2349523456234 times a day.

My good friend Art (Event Omega) is absolutely right. "If you have enough of a car to be worthy of doing 108+ on ANY track, you would already have enough knowledge and ability at your disposal to get rid of the governor on your own. If you have to ask the question, then you don't know enough about your car. If you don't know enough about your car then you probably haven't done anything to the suspension or brakes to support a car travelling at speeds like that. Aside from the fact that travelling at speeds like that on a public road is just plain unsafe. Unsafe for you, I don't really care about. If you're the one asking this question, I don't give a shit about you anymore. I'm worried about me. I'm worried about my fiancee and my son. I'm worried about my friends and my family. This son of a bitch could just as easily hit me or run me off the road or hit me had I not been paying attention to my mirrors. So shut the fuck up. NOW. Do us all a favor and get it over with today. Find a brick wall, bridge abutment, or even a well reinforced building and run your car (at 108) and your selfish, inconsiderate, juvenile punk ass into it. We are much better off without you.

"The I-83 Asshat described above was lucky. He didn't kill himself or anyone else. But it could have VERY easily gone another way. There was ALOT of traffic on I-83 today and he was weaving in and out of it at full speed. All he lost was his car. Maybe COMPLETLY lost his car too, since insurance companies look for governor tampering in speed related accidents now."

That's for a whole different thread. This thread is dedicated to how much of an asshole you all are that want to know, without being properly equipt.

"But I'm a good driver!" / "It's OK, I know how to drive" -- SHUT THE FUCK UP! Most of you asking about this mod are like 16-20 years old. You DO NOT know how to drive THAT WELL yet. Besides, your driving skill has nothing to do with it. Do you think Dale Earnhardt Jr or Jeff Gordon drive their cars at 150MPH on the highway just because they are professional drivers? Doubtful. So you're doing 108MPH and you know exactly where you're gonna go. What about the guy in front of you that you're gonna go around. Only he doesn't know that...he sees you coming and tries to get out of your way at the same time you move to go around him. Then you correct, overcompensate and suddenly your car looks like the Cavalier formerly owned by "I-83 Asshat". Worse, maybe you hit the guy and then spin him out of control, into a wall, into another car, etc. Didn't think of that, did you Speed Racer?

"I only do it on country roads where nobody is around" -- Again, SHUT THE FUCK UP. At 108MPH you are travelling at a speed that gives you little time to react to anything. WHAT IF something DID happen to be around? Or just "show up"? Just because it's a country road where nobody is around doesn't change the fact that it is STILL a public road that everyone has just as much right to be on as you. I work for Verizon and recently, a Verizon technician was killed by a street racer. Imagine being out there doing your job, in this case hanging at the top of a telephone pole. Then imagine that you hear the sound of a couple cars coming down the road at full speed. Then imagine that you watch one of these cars lose control when they try to avoid your truck and orange cones on the side of the road and shear off your telephone pole at the ground. Then imagine riding that pole down to your death. While you're at it, imagine the two children whose 27 year old mother will never be coming home again, you inconsiderate fuck!

You have no "right" to street race. You have no "reason" to street race. Hell, let's be honest here. Most of us have small 4 cylinder cars. We barely have the MEANS to do anything that even resembles "racing".

OK, I'll leave the bashing and vicious rant at that, because if I go any farther it's just going to turn into an obscenity-laden tirade about social responsibility and how The Fast and The Furious is causing the downfall of modern civilization.

I don't think much will change as a result of this, but I will make every effort to pursuade you into not doing it without plausable cause.

Considering that there are more lawyers than accident victims in this country, I'm also strongly recommending that [rules are made] regarding this kind of information on the forums. There is just too much risk in allowing this information into the hands of the blatantly stupid. Let's get back to the example of the dumb fuck at McDonalds...Coffee is hot (duh). We know that. She won millions of dollars because coffee was hot and she dumped it in her lap. WOW! Well, let's draw a parallel... I know that cars at high speeds can kill people. Some tool who tampers with his governor probably knows it too, but let's say he ignores that and does it anyway. Then he kills himself and someone else. Next thing you know his family will be whining in court about how the evil Automotive forums and it's evil moderators allowed him to get the information to make his car go too fast and kill himself and now they want lots of money. @!#$ that. I want no part of it. So with in my conclusion this will probably be locked but Kustmace i think this should be a sticky. I can go back and edit my cussing words.

Feel free to comment on my opinions.

ImSoYesterday
02-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I use to think it would be cool to disable the VSS at the push of a button when I wanted to go faster. But. I realized, why? I am not the smartest person, street racing is a daily routine for me, running from cops is montly (they can only go 90 here) and I just have no use to go any faster than that. This post should be printed and put in the notebook of every teen in high school, on the door of everyone's bedroom. Take it to heart, speed isn't worth a loss of a car or death.

TunerAdept
02-24-2005, 01:56 PM
ok... ill make my opinion short and sweet. i agree you shouldnt be going more than 100 in any scenario. but i also street race daily, every chance i get in fact. i have every right to street race whenever and wherever i want, because of one thing... i am an american, that gives me the right to be an inconsiderate asshole till hell freezes over. calling high speeders morons is one thing, but to bash all forms of street racing, despite the driver and despite the area and despite the car isnt fair. i have seen people who get in wrecks, they are morons. not all street racers race that high, i usually kill it at about 70 ona good day, 50 on an average since im usually way winning by then... just a thought.

-Jayson-
02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
well i street race all the time. Ill admit it. I enjoy it. I feel safer street racing than i do driving normally in rush hour traffic and heres why.

Copied from a JBODY.ORG thread

"In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.
Now 135 deaths is nothing to sneeze at, and I consider all of them tragedies. But, in order to get to the truth of the matter, we need to see how many total traffic fatalities there were in 2001. From information on the NHTSA's site, we find there were 41,979 total fatalities on U.S. roadways in 2001. Now, recall a little bit of middle school math, and that comes out to 0.3% of all traffic fatalities being related to street racing."

Classicrocjunkie
02-24-2005, 03:06 PM
All good reasons. THis is mainly directed towards the VSS mod and the guys who feel the need to be racing at speeds above 80 MPH. Light to light is only stop and go driving. I could careless about that because i to feel the need to feel the HP in high RPMS just kick in. So i don't consider that street racing. Its when you go way up and above the speedlimit is when i have problems with people. Keep your thoughts comming.

KustmAce
02-24-2005, 06:50 PM
First of all, I must say, great post, I could not agree more. No lock, and stuck. I also fixed the little spelling error in the title :).

Secondly:

i have every right to street race whenever and wherever i want, because of one thing... i am an american, that gives me the right to be an inconsiderate asshole till hell freezes over.

I think you need to go reread the Bill of Rights, because unless I missed something, breaking laws is not a right. Putting the lives of others is not a right. Although, I urge you to give that argument to the cop writing you up a 25 point ticket after your busted for street racing, which will happen. Also, I do believe I have found a new sig quote. Thank You.

calling high speeders morons is one thing, but to bash all forms of street racing, despite the driver and despite the area and despite the car isnt fair.

Why not? Doesn't matter if your Mario Andretti driving a Maybach in the middle of Times Square. Street Racing is illegal, period. There is no excuse for it. Not to mention, how many "forms" of street racing are there? Is it oikay to bash all forms of burglary? How about rape? Are some forms okay and others not?

i have seen people who get in wrecks, they are morons.

I have seen people in wrecks too. None of which morons. Actually, most were smart, obeying the law, broadsided by some idiot racing someone.

not all street racers race that high, i usually kill it at about 70 ona good day, 50 on an average

Like I said before, does the fact that you "kill it around 70 on a good day" make it legal? What if a burglar got caught and said "Oh I only take 50 bucks on a good day". Or a guy shoots someone and says "Well I only shot him in the leg". Real strong argument there.

since im usually way winning by then...

Riiight. Im sure your lil' hot rod Cavy makes mince meat out of everything on the road. A nice strong, valid conclusion to a similarly strong, valid argument. And on top of everything, your cocky to boot.

Now, since everyone seems to be tossing in a pair of pennies, I think I'll do the same. I have street raced, and still do every once in a while. I won't deny that. I also won't deny that when I do that its stupid. I know it, anyone thats racing me knows it. As much as anyone can try to justify it, fact remains, breaking the law is breaking the law. And if you think I have no ground to stand on in my argument, I am currently riding on a probationary license for speeding until late June. I broke the law, paid the consequence. But, really, truly, there is no excuse whatsover, no justification, no matter how hard you try, to breaking the law. Period.

Classicrocjunkie
02-24-2005, 09:51 PM
oooo shiat...

TunerAdept just got OWNED!!

TunerAdept
02-24-2005, 10:41 PM
i dont race in my cavy :), i race in my blown 350 camaro. everyone is entitled to an opinion, and i knew my post would trigger an arguement for some, but no matter what, i could care less. i will street race until i loose my license. never been ticketed before, so dont have to worry about that much. hell, the cops here challenge ya half the time. besides, you pick and choose your battles. racing is nothing like burglary or rape for one solid reason... if done right it harms no one. burglary causes a financial problem for some, rape is obvious, but racing causes no one any harm period. so your analogy is flawed.

oh yeah, and my justification to speeding... because its fun. you dont need much more of a reason than that. you cant spend your life going "what if this?" "what if that?" if you did, it'd be very very boring, like ned flanders off the simpsons. be like max powers, wrong only faster :D

KustmAce
02-24-2005, 11:13 PM
racing causes no one any harm period.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/dragrace/closings_ctv.html-2 Dead- caused by street racing

http://novanewsnet.ukings.ns.ca/nova_news_3588_3126.html- 16 year old dead- caused by street racing

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-62416.html- 1 badly injured- caused by street racing

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=2993126&nav=15MUWloB- 23 year old dead- caused by street racing

http://www.corral.net/Tragedies/StreetRacing/01112901-California- 2 dead- caused by street racing

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/26/entertainment/main560612.shtml- 17 year old dead- caused by street racing

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?forumID=25&threadID=7400&tstart=75- 2 19 year olds dead- caused by street racing

Shall I go on?

Classicrocjunkie
02-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Someone is just diggin himself a hole.

big dude1
02-25-2005, 12:10 AM
o think that im the saddest case of all of you... im a firefighter... seen quite my fair share of speed related deaths... and i still love to race :)

and wow, tuneradept, i think u might wanna shut up b 4 u become the winner of the all time owned award :)

TunerAdept
02-25-2005, 02:49 AM
i have yet to see where he has one point on me. guess in blind. you know what else causes deaths? tylenol. oh yeah, table salt does it too! if some moron inhales it... get my drift? besides, this is just an opinion pole, no matter what he says, im still going to go out there every day and have fun, thats the point of a sports car. no matter what i say i wont be able to sway his mind either. somewhat of a silly conversation in that sense.

TunerAdept
02-25-2005, 02:52 AM
u left one thing out of your quoting me, i said WHEN DONE RIGHT it doesnt harm anyone. besides, if you die street racing or kill someone street racing, you deserve to die for idiocy, and the other people being hurt is just bad luck. i personally have never even came close to getting in a wreck from racing, since i pick and choose my battles. you are saying all racers are bad, its like saying women are bad because they have boobs and we dont, unfair at job interviews. get my drift?

godenm
02-25-2005, 07:52 AM
u left one thing out of your quoting me, i said WHEN DONE RIGHT it doesnt harm anyone. besides, if you die street racing or kill someone street racing, you deserve to die for idiocy, and the other people being hurt is just bad luck. i personally have never even came close to getting in a wreck from racing, since i pick and choose my battles. you are saying all racers are bad, its like saying women are bad because they have boobs and we dont, unfair at job interviews. get my drift?
:shakehead

-Jayson-
02-25-2005, 08:39 AM
ok im not gonna try and brag and say my car is uber fast and sweet cause you guys always think im trying to do that. But when i had my 95 2.2L it was slow as stink. I didnt want to race it cause it was so slow i knew i would lose, racing wasnt that fun when your always loosing. Then when i got the Z24 it was a little more fun cause i didnt loose to much with a v6 or less. Now that i have the supercharger its truely a joy to street race. I dont lose often, and the races are alot more fun. I think if your car determines if your gonna be a street racer or not. Ill guarantee if anyone who says they are against street racing gets put behind a corvette or a really nice fast car, they will street race. My theory is the faster the cars and the races, the more adrenaline that gets pumping, and adrenaline is addictive.

public
02-25-2005, 10:56 AM
and the other people being hurt is just bad luck.

Hurt someone in my family with your stupidity and I might show you what I think of you self-proclaimed right to race. And then, since I work in the E.R. I will give a free ride on the morgue cart. It's lots of fun, people do it all the time. Good Luck on NEVER making a mistake at speed.

btw-If you have a blown V8 why are you reading about our little cavi's?

Classicrocjunkie
02-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Hurt someone in my family with your stupidity and I might show you what I think of you self-proclaimed right to race. And then, since I work in the E.R. I will give a free ride on the morgue cart. It's lots of fun, people do it all the time. Good Luck on NEVER making a mistake at speed.

^^^ Good point

on that note..

http://www.cofba.org/users/joshmiller/Pics/web/OWN3D/owned2.jpg

TunerAdept
02-25-2005, 11:29 AM

threats lol, pick your fights bud, want my address to come back something like that up ill give it. i started looking in the cavy forum because i just got one, and i was looking into the performance of those little engines. and thanks for wishing the good luck :), never hurts. besides, if racing were about luck, then you worry, but, it isnt.

KustmAce
02-25-2005, 01:11 PM
threats lol, pick your fights bud, want my address to come back something like that up ill give it.

A little defensive are we? He wasn't picking a fight. He was offering to give you the same ride as the recently deceased, not put you there. Such an experience might straighten out your thinking a little bit.

There is a difference to racing with skill and racing with luck. Bumper to bumper racing at 200mph takes skill. Trapping at 170+mph in the quarter takes skill. Mashing the gas pedal when the light turns green really doesnt. Speed shifting and timing are all great too, but frankly, I wouldnt go bragging about my ungodly super human "skill" in either of those categories.

if you die street racing or kill someone street racing, you deserve to die for idiocy

So it takes the death or severe injury of someone else to make you realize that what your doing is stupid?

i personally have never even came close to getting in a wreck from racing

And is that because of your skill? Or has a bus just not pulled out in front of you yet? Or the pedestrian not paying attention, you just haven't come across him yet? What about the front tire of your car that unexpectedly blows at 70mph? Or you hit a bump in the road you didnt see and spin out of control across 3 lanes of traffic? Has none of that happened because of your immense street racing skill? Or because you "pick and choose your battles"?

I must say, I fail to see your logic in every statement you have made. Illegally street racing has EVRYTHING to do with luck. And no matter how good of a driver you think you are, there are a million things that you can not control, no matter how much you tell yourself you can.

i have yet to see where he has one point on me. guess in blind.

Guess so. Everyone else seems to get the picture.

you know what else causes deaths? tylenol. oh yeah, table salt does it too! if some moron inhales it... get my drift?

Last I checked, Tylenol and table salt aren't illegal. Taking Tylenol and snorting table salt arent illegal either. Wierd how that adds nothing whatsoever to your argument.

besides, this is just an opinion pole,

This is also a discussion of the safety and justification (or lack thereof) of street racing. I have presented plenty of facts for you to absorb, and just because you choose to ignore them does not negate them as being facts.

no matter what he says, im still going to go out there every day and have fun, thats the point of a sports car.

The point of a sports car is to break the law? Does it say that in the manual? And are you seriously calling a Cavalier a sports car?

no matter what i say i wont be able to sway his mind either. somewhat of a silly conversation in that sense.

Now, there's the first time you have been right in this whole thread. No, you won't sway my mind because like I said earlier, there is no justification to breaking the law "for fun", putting the lives of many others in clear danger, and having no regard for the safety of anyone, anything, and everyone around you.

public
02-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I have yet to put anyone on the morgue cart by direct action. But I am 6'3 and about 270. So my Cavi's real slow pullin me around. But if you or anyone hurts someone I care about due to stupidity I can get rather forcefull. Then comes the lawyers.

Classicrocjunkie
02-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Damn public... you got 1 inch and 30 lbs on me..Guess i am not only the big guy in here.

public
02-25-2005, 01:45 PM
I work in the ER. I am a Sargent in the Security Department at an intercity hospital. I deal with guys like this every damn night. Drunks, druggies, psycho's, every criminal on the 6pm news(they get arrested upon discharge so the cops don't have to pay the bill so I get 'em), . You get the idea. You gotta be big and quick or you just get hurt.

I am way tooooo Big for a Cavi. At least it is a 2 door so that helps. We had a 4door here at work, me in there was not a pretty sight. and my little wife has a new Buick Century. How fair is that?

Can we lock this VERY tired thread already?

mike@af
02-25-2005, 01:49 PM
if done right it harms no one.
Correct. But the right way is on the track. The way you're racing harms no one until you slame into some Mom in her van with her children coming home from McDonalds.

oh yeah, and my justification to speeding... because its fun.

Burning things is fun...destroying things is fun, but I dont go around doing that.

So far your arguements are not backed up by anything of substance, just a bunch of hooplah thats post-hoc, bandwagon, among other things. You are just running in circles backing stuff up with unrelated arguements.

Classicrocjunkie
02-25-2005, 01:51 PM
no lets keep it open, this is an interesting discussion. I think its ok as long as we dont start a flame war, and so far there is no war just an matar trying to defend his own stupid clause.

public
02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I guess. It just all seems like I have heard it before. I too was once young and full of stupid ideas.

Maybe it will get real interesting when he convinces us that he is RIGHT and we all must apologize. I'll stay tuned in.

public
02-25-2005, 01:58 PM
stupid clause.

Like Santa?

Classicrocjunkie
02-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Ho-ho-ho...

taranaki
02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
i have every right to street race whenever and wherever i want, because of one thing... i am an american, that gives me the right to be an inconsiderate asshole till hell freezes over.

Lol.I was actually having a bit of a holiday from AF, but this was just too good to miss.When I've stopped laughing,I could tell you about how reckless and stupid street racing is, but I won't. Because you already know. The facts have all been laid out in front of you many times, you've mashed them over in your head until you can come up with an excuse to continue behaving antisocially, and then you've closed your mind to any arguments that people are willing to put to you for your own well-being and for the safety of those around you.

Statistically, young boys are a bad insurance risk. The reason is very simple.Their lack of skill and their massive egos conspire to make them drive way too fast for the conditions.They don't know their stopping distances, they don't know the point at which a hard corner becomes a one way trip into a fence post, and they don't know when to take their foot off the gas to avoid a skid. They've seen The Fast And The Furious,creamed their underwear, and now believe that they are experts at the art of driving.

Without wishing to look to long in the rear view mirror at your cav,I'll tell you about my vehicle.it's a bog standard Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 4 door auto.The only mod that has ever been made was to remove the speed limiter.It was gone before I bought the car, and I have no iterest in finding out what the effects are.Nissan put it on the car for a damn good reason, so as far as I'm concerned, it may as well still be there.
Now, I've had the car 8 months and I've not tested it fully yet, so I don't know what it's truly capable of, but I know that I like it enough to want to keep it.Same goes for my spinal chord.Spending the next 60 years in a wheelchair,crapping into a plastic bag is not a look that appeals to me.

If some ditzy little punk decided they want to go me at the lights,I let them go.I'm not interested.If they want to show the world how childish they can be, good luck to them.I'll catch up with them 100yards up the street, and when the plods catch up with them, I'll have 28 days peaceful drivong while their car sits in the impound yard.Longer even, if they can't afford the impound fees after they've been slapped with a massive fine.

Be an inconsiderate asshole alll you like, it won't get you the respect of anyone.In the small band of losers that makes up the street racing scene,you are only as good as your last win, and even then, you're not much to anyone except yourself. And from the looks of your postings so far,I'd say you need absolutely no help with that whatsoever.

jon@af
02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Well said Kevin :smile:.

ok... ill make my opinion short and sweet. i agree you shouldnt be going more than 100 in any scenario. but i also street race daily, every chance i get in fact. i have every right to street race whenever and wherever i want, because of one thing... i am an american, that gives me the right to be an inconsiderate asshole till hell freezes over. calling high speeders morons is one thing, but to bash all forms of street racing, despite the driver and despite the area and despite the car isnt fair. i have seen people who get in wrecks, they are morons. not all street racers race that high, i usually kill it at about 70 ona good day, 50 on an average since im usually way winning by then... just a thought.

1. No, you DON'T have every right to street race whenever and wherever you want. If you honestly believe this, you need to be slapped. Street racing is illegal. Period. Nothing is going to make it right. Therefore, being illegal, you do NOT have the right. Being an American has nothing to do with it. Please show me what consitutional amendment says you have the right to street race. There are none. You are wrong.

2. You DON'T have the right to put other peoples' lives at risk. I could care less how safe you THINK you are. Street racing is dangerous and stupid. You cannot account for every single thing happening around you when getting into a street race. Everytime you decide to street race against someone, there is always a chance that something will go wrong. You may think you're just that good, but you're not. Inevitability outweighs luck. Your luck IS going to run out, and I'll have no pity when it does.

TunerAdept, if you've got anymore comments for any of the members who've posted in this thread, you will send them via private message. You will not leave them here. We've already bastardized this thread enough.

BACK ON TOPIC

cmjrbking123
02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
LOL street racing is cool as long as nothing bad happens.

but you do it long enough something bad will. i used to think it was cool

until my friend hit a concret pillar at 120 mph. he died instantly.

putting yours or someone else life at risk is not a right. say for example

your in your car and you hit someone crossing the street you did not see you just commited murder. enjoy spending the rest of your life behind bars with the guilt. just because of some stupid race.

inarifennec
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
I have a story.

Was heading home after work in my cavy and this guy Devin, I knew him but not personally, had just bought a dodge Neon SRT-4. And of course he pulls to the left of me, gasses it and wants to race, I don't so he just pretty much races himself and yeah talks shit about my car the next day big deal. Just a few days ago I saw his Neon. The entire right corner, Fender, Bumper. Parts of the door. Were completely mashed up and destroyed. the guy refuses to comment to me.

I assume he was doing what he does best, racing, came up behind a car that was braking and had to turn into the left lane to avoid. Now his nice shiny Neon is just as good as the next POS on the road. The guy can't afford to pay the other driver, legal fees, etc and have his car fixed. his insurance is probably through the roof, so his car will probably be this way for a while.

my point is, It's just not worth the risk. With all these horror stories people tell me, darn right I listen, Now I'm not 100% innocent I have raced before. but I do my best to have enough sense to just say no. It's really not worth all the crap that could happen, just like it's been said; "you can't control every factor on the road" so why risk it?

Inari

KustmAce
02-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Alright everyone, please, no more street racing stories. If you have anything to add regarding your approval or disapproval to removing the limiter, or anything else related to the governor, feel free to post it. I dont want to have to lock this thread for spiralling too far off track.

Flatrater
02-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Copied from a JBODY.ORG thread

"In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.
Now 135 deaths is nothing to sneeze at, and I consider all of them tragedies. But, in order to get to the truth of the matter, we need to see how many total traffic fatalities there were in 2001. From information on the NHTSA's site, we find there were 41,979 total fatalities on U.S. roadways in 2001. Now, recall a little bit of middle school math, and that comes out to 0.3% of all traffic fatalities being related to street racing."

What is that new math? You failed in accounting the required factors. If there was 1350 street races in 2001 and we had 135 deaths that would make a 10% death rate from street racers. And if you had 42 million cars and 42 thousand deaths. This would be more of a comparsion.

Street racing kills innocent people of the 42 thousand road deaths how many were caused by speeders cutting off drivers. Break down all the deaths by catagories. You took one group of car accidents and compared them to all deaths.,

Flatrater
02-25-2005, 07:37 PM
i have yet to see where he has one point on me. guess in blind. you know what else causes deaths? tylenol. oh yeah, table salt does it too! if some moron inhales it... get my drift? besides, this is just an opinion pole, no matter what he says, im still going to go out there every day and have fun, thats the point of a sports car. no matter what i say i wont be able to sway his mind either. somewhat of a silly conversation in that sense.

You are the reason why car makers need to install speed limiters.

Hope that I never get your car to work on becaus ethe first thing to go would be your butcher job on the car.

TunerAdept
02-25-2005, 09:07 PM
i appologize if i had offended anyone. ill leave this as my last post on this issue, and ill keep it non-offensive. originally i set out to agree with the point that speed limiters should not be removed, and for that i get called various names. if you believe this or not, i actually plan on being a traffic cop in about 3 months. oh yeah, i do feel better about myself with each win under my belt. you wanna race that skyline against my camaro ill do it but only on stakes, i win you fill my nos tank :) i doubt your skline can hold a candle to it. dont get me wrong, i love skylines, but in the realm of reality...

Classicrocjunkie
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Alright everyone, please, no more street racing stories. If you have anything to add regarding your approval or disapproval to removing the limiter, or anything else related to the governor, feel free to post it. I dont want to have to lock this thread for spiralling too far off track.

With that in place....

....you wanna race that skyline against my camaro ill do it but only on stakes, i win you fill my nos tank :) i doubt your skline can hold a candle to it. dont get me wrong, i love skylines, but in the realm of reality...

Well since that was your last post about this whole issue. I'll just point out the realm that you once again didn't read. NO MORE FUCKING POSTS ON STREET RACING!!!!..... ahhh i feel better already.

big dude1
02-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Damn public... you got 1 inch and 30 lbs on me..Guess i am not only the big guy in here.

hey im six foot and weigh 270.... but it aint fat

-Jayson-
02-25-2005, 11:18 PM
What is that new math? You failed in accounting the required factors. If there was 1350 street races in 2001 and we had 135 deaths that would make a 10% death rate from street racers. And if you had 42 million cars and 42 thousand deaths. This would be more of a comparsion.

Street racing kills innocent people of the 42 thousand road deaths how many were caused by speeders cutting off drivers. Break down all the deaths by catagories. You took one group of car accidents and compared them to all deaths.,

wtf is your point man? Listen according to source, 135 fatal crashes occured BECAUSE of street racing. That doesnt mean the person in the race died, it could very well be an innoncent bistander. They would be included in the total since their death would be a result of STREET RACING. In case you didnt see, .03% of ALL FATALITIES RELATED TO AUTOMOBILES WERE BECAUSE OF STREET RACING. Someone speeding alone down the street is not a street racer. If you think your can race yourself, your belong in the special olympics.

big dude1
02-25-2005, 11:22 PM
anyways.... so whens someone gonna be stupid enough to ASK how to remove it? this thread will turn to 50 pages long...

Classicrocjunkie
02-25-2005, 11:45 PM
I'd like to see some newbie step up and attempt it. In all reality its somthing quite simple and can be done by your average joe. Or even is someone is good at the internet they could find it pretty quick. lol... i think my new motto should be " save a life(s) and bash a noob on VSS modification"

big dude1
02-25-2005, 11:47 PM
do it!!!

01Cavy
02-26-2005, 11:27 AM
anyways.... so whens someone gonna be stupid enough to ASK how to remove it? this thread will turn to 50 pages long...

Just to satisfy your tastes, and to get this thread back on track...How do you remove the speed limiter?

Please don't hurt me CRJ

P.S. I really don't want to know, but for those who are afraid to ask...show them why they shouldnt ask!

public
02-26-2005, 11:46 AM
hey im six foot and weigh 270.... but it aint fat

I would weigh more but my head is full of hot air. :grinyes:

-Jayson-
02-26-2005, 11:55 AM
this is dumb anways, ill bet not more than 2 people know how to do it on here anways. It was funny to see all the people who claimed to know how to do it when i posted the wrong way to do it earlier. I mean people thought it was real, i said the speedometer would stick at 88MPH, the same speed needed for time travel. Anyone here see back to the future? All you need now is a flux capacitator.

ac427cpe
02-26-2005, 01:40 PM
on a mk2 mr2 it's the purple and white wire on the ecu plugout... :D

KJRich
02-26-2005, 04:13 PM
I stumbled across the "governor removal mod" within the first hour of surfing Cavalier tech info back when I first bought my car. People who have to ask how to do it aren't looking hard enough.
By the way, how are you big guys fitting into Cavaliers? :p I'm 6'1", 225 lbs and my head almost touches the roof unless I want to recline the seat back more. :D

Classicrocjunkie
02-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I hope the doubt that -Jayson- has isn't against I. That was a good post. Too bad it was for the auto trans interceptor. LMAO... we played that one out good and made them all think it was real..

03yellocavi
02-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Ok for all you people saying that it's really dangerous to go 120+ MPH, YOU ARE WRONG and right, you see if you have aprox. $3000+ you can do it safely, all you need is a lowering kit (a good one), sway bar, strut bar, and some 150 MPH+ tires and you'll do fine as long as the roads arn't slippery or wet, then again I have a friend who can go around a U-type on-ramp at 140MPH in the rain no problem but he has the tires, strut bar, and swey bars. and his car goes 180+ it's really fun but you definitly should SLOW DOWN around corners well paved straight aways are safe but know where the corners are or you'll be trying to slow down and then your brakes will start to make you skid and suddenly you'll start to go out of control, don't use your brakes unless you absolutly have to because they can cause you to skid into a roll if you accidenly turn the wheel to much or even at all it's safer to down shift or let the gear that your in slow you down. Their is a chance that all cars will roll, even ones that have all that equipment that I talked about above and even if they are 2" off the ground, because a certain bump at the wrong time can cause alot of problems, so know the roads your driving on and don't try to go faster than what your car can handle, so if you want to go fast it's gonna cost you a little bit of $$$, but it shouldn't break your bank.

big dude1
02-26-2005, 10:09 PM
great well, if i had 3000 i think i would invest it in something more worthwhile that suspension such as my internals, and a nitrous kit... whats the point of having the fast suspension stuff... when you cant go fast?

big dude1
02-26-2005, 10:12 PM
I stumbled across the "governor removal mod" within the first hour of surfing Cavalier tech info back when I first bought my car. People who have to ask how to do it aren't looking hard enough.
By the way, how are you big guys fitting into Cavaliers? :p I'm 6'1", 225 lbs and my head almost touches the roof unless I want to recline the seat back more. :D

i fit pretty good in mine, but my head DOES touch the roof lol.... at least when i hit bumps it does...

Classicrocjunkie
02-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok for all you people saying that it's really dangerous to go 120+ MPH, YOU ARE WRONG and right, you see if you have aprox. $3000+ you can do it safely, all you need is a lowering kit (a good one), sway bar, strut bar, and some 150 MPH+ tires and you'll do fine as long as the roads arn't slippery or wet, then again I have a friend who can go around a U-type on-ramp at 140MPH in the rain no problem but he has the tires, strut bar, and swey bars. and his car goes 180+ it's really fun but you definitly should SLOW DOWN around corners well paved straight aways are safe but know where the corners are or you'll be trying to slow down and then your brakes will start to make you skid and suddenly you'll start to go out of control, don't use your brakes unless you absolutly have to because they can cause you to skid into a roll if you accidenly turn the wheel to much or even at all it's safer to down shift or let the gear that your in slow you down. Their is a chance that all cars will roll, even ones that have all that equipment that I talked about above and even if they are 2" off the ground, because a certain bump at the wrong time can cause alot of problems, so know the roads your driving on and don't try to go faster than what your car can handle, so if you want to go fast it's gonna cost you a little bit of $$$, but it shouldn't break your bank.

Ok i am going to label you a noob for that statment because you just don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Yes suspension is a must and you do require all that to be safe. But not just all that. Ever try to slow down from going 120+ miles an hr? Your rotors will warp soo bad from trying to slow down and you pads will glaze and become usless in a matter of seconds. Most braking is done by the front breaks and your drums will warp aswell. So lets add another 2K to that cost for the Baer rear brake conversion and front big brake upgrade and that should bring us to $2,500. And another 1K for a set of rims larger than 16" to accomodate the larger 12" rotor. So thats bring our total up to $6,500 est. Not to mention if your car decside to crash or your make a bad maneuver lets add in a racing seats and seat belt harness. For a well bult 5 pt racing harness is 300 bucks and a seat by lets say... corbeau is 500. The bracket to mount them to the floor... lets bring this up to 1K. NOw were at $7,500. The structure of the car if you crash will alot just crimple like a tuna can so lets put in the price of a custom build roll cage. $1k.Oh and if you like to drive for a while going that fast imaging all the heat your engine will be putting out and what it would take to cool it off. Lets add in the cost for a performance Radiator and a large water pump. Oh shit there is another 1K.

$9,500 is more like it there bud and that not even touching the surface to attempt this safely!!!

Classicrocjunkie
02-26-2005, 10:33 PM
... anyone else feel like trying to prove me and the other mods wrong?

.........end rant.

taranaki
02-26-2005, 11:19 PM
This thread has reached it's maximum stupidity level. It's been funny listening to the wannabees, but it's time to close it before the flaming gets out of hand.Will the boys who know jack shit about performance and handling please stick to watching movies,thanx.

Add your comment to this topic!