Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine stops when shifting into R

wjlinde
02-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi, I am Willem-Jan and I live in the Netherlands, drive a 1993 TS 3.8 and have the next problem.
When I start the engine it runs well but when I shift to Reverse the engine stops.

Put the shift back in Neutral and I can start the engine again. When I put the car in D the engine keeps running (RPM drops down a bit but the engine keeps on running).
While driving the car there seems to be no problems.

What can cause this problem?

LMP
02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Puzzling indeed.
DO you mean it stalls on a sudden or it starts stumbling then finally gives up?
Does it happen if you have driven normally in forward motion, engine warmed up?
I'm investigating electrical options, like TCC wiring being accidentally shorted with reverse switch wiring...but that is a long shot??? TO test it would simply mean unplugging the TCC plug from the transmission and see what happens: at least, for a first, this would eliminate that weird option.
see:
www.avigex.ca/xport/transaxle.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/transaxleconnector.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/fuelinjection.jpg

Long time ago, I've seen a case where engine torque in one direction would pull the coil wire out and it would loose spark (coil was on the firewall) ..surely not the exact case here, but some other torque sensitive wiring may be involved too....

wjlinde
02-14-2005, 01:57 PM
The engine stalls on the moment I shift into Reverse, it starts great.
When driving there is also no problem, only when shifting in R.
It doesn't matter if I've been driving or not, engine cold or hot...when shift into R the engine stalls.
The only thing I can do to drive in reverse is on the moment of shifting give a bit of gas to make sure the engine doesn't stall in the mean time I have to put my foor on the brake, then slowly release the brake and the car will drive without stalling.

LMP
02-14-2005, 02:21 PM
OK since you can keep it running with some throttle input, then no reason to suspect what I mentioned at beginning of previous post (TCC). SO my next step would be to check throttle linkage ......I'd think reverse torque displaces the engine in a direction that moves the throttle somewhat below minimum idle position....I wonder how that could happen however.. I hope you find first and tell us....! I'd also pay some attention to the idle air valve motor, check connections...!?!

EDit Feb 18: I'd like to see the rationale between the problem and the way it was solved (next post) ....but anyway, if even by coincidence ( displaced wires or anything else) it's going fine now, that 's all that was wanted in the first place so that's OK.

wjlinde
02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi

The car has been checked and the garage found the problem, it was a faulty ignition module.
This has been replaced and it seems that the problem I had is gone.
The car is driving well and when shifting into gear the engine keeps on running.

Greetings from Holland

Add your comment to this topic!