Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Cav stalls when stopped at red light

mb17180116
02-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I have an 89 cavalier 2.0L 4cyl with about 120,000 miles on it. When i come to a stop light or stop sign, after about 20 seconds or so, it will start to run very rough and it will shake and stalls and nearly dies...but comes out of it every time. It only does this when stopped, and runs just fine on the highway or any other time im moving. Tried replacing the fuel filter and the mass airflow sensor...thinking maybe the o2 sensor....any other suggestions?

noshun
02-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I have an 89 cavalier 2.0L 4cyl with about 120,000 miles on it. When i come to a stop light or stop sign, after about 20 seconds or so, it will start to run very rough and it will shake and stalls and nearly dies...but comes out of it every time. It only does this when stopped, and runs just fine on the highway or any other time im moving. Tried replacing the fuel filter and the mass airflow sensor...thinking maybe the o2 sensor....any other suggestions?

More than likely the IAC valve on the TB needs cleaning out with some carb cleaner. Other than that EGR valve. But more than likely IAC as it's during idle.

mb17180116
02-15-2005, 01:11 AM
More than likely the IAC valve on the TB needs cleaning out with some carb cleaner. Other than that EGR valve. But more than likely IAC as it's during idle.

Took out and cleaned the IAC valve with carb cleaner and a toothbrush...still had the same problem. Maybe ill try the EGR valve next...

public
02-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Check for a vacuum leak. This is a classic vacuum leak description.

shottenheimer
02-20-2005, 09:15 PM

I had a similar-type problem with '93 Cavalier. My problem was with lock-up siliniod in the transmission. Cost about $200 to fix at a transmission shop. Dealer wanted $550. Don't know if this is true but was told this is a common problem with many GM vehicles.

noshun
02-20-2005, 10:00 PM
I had a similar-type problem with '93 Cavalier. My problem was with lock-up siliniod in the transmission. Cost about $200 to fix at a transmission shop. Dealer wanted $550. Don't know if this is true but was told this is a common problem with many GM vehicles.

could have stopped the stalling for free!

shottenheimer
02-20-2005, 10:07 PM
could have stopped the stalling for free!

Interesting. What would you have done?

noshun
02-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Interesting. What would you have done?

Disconnected the plug for the lock-up AKA torque converter Clutch. Blue plug on the underside of the trans housing. Will stop it engaging alltogether! Lowered gas mileage on the Highway but no labout cost.
Although yours was very cheap! It's like $25 for the part and the rest is labour stripping down the trans!

Add your comment to this topic!