Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

22R-Te Ignition Timing

JVS
02-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Can anyone help me with a ignition timing question. I replaced the head on an 86 toy 4x4 turbo with rebuilt head (Head gasket went bad and cracked head due to water). Put the crank at 0 degrees TDC and marked cam and chain when removing head. After new head was installed made sure it was at 0 degrees TDC and put in distrubtor so it was pointing to #1 wire. Timed truck to 5 degress BTDC and truck ran but had no power. Found that when I advanced the timing say to 12 degress BTDC it was much better. Then moved to say about 20 degrees and truck seemed to run pretty much normal. Does anyone know what might have happened?

claym
02-10-2005, 09:22 AM
If its a 22re you have to short circuit the check connectors in you diagnostics box(right front tire well). I believe its terminals TE1 and E1.Then adjust timing after they have been shorted. When they short it will cause your truck to idle down.

JVS
02-10-2005, 10:50 AM
If its a 22re you have to short circuit the check connectors in you diagnostics box(right front tire well). I believe its terminals TE1 and E1.Then adjust timing after they have been shorted. When they short it will cause your truck to idle down.

Thanks claym, but I did that when I set the timing to factory specs. It would start by had no power and poor acceleraltion. It was by chance that I found it ran normal by advancing the timing.

philmag1
03-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Did you replace the timing chain and guides? If not and you have some miles on the engine these guides wear out (especially the right side drivers) and the chain gets loose. This could cause the chain to jump a knotch or worse yet break like mine did!

Add your comment to this topic!