Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake lights staying on

jonesdp
01-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I've got a '98 S-10 LS with almost 80,000 miles on it. Lately the brake lights have been stuck on after I shut the truck off. Sometimes wiggling the brake pedal will get them to shut off, but sometimes I have to pull the fuse to keep the battery from running down. The weird thing is when the brake lights in the back of the truck are stuck on, the third brake light above the cab still works normally. I tried replacing the switch on the brake pedal, and that didn't help. A friend of mine had a similar problem when he snagged the trailer wiring harness (he also has an S-10/Blazer) on something and it shorted out, but mine appears OK. The truck doesn't have cruise control. Is there another switch I missed? Is there a relay somewhere that might be sticking? I'm out of ideas... please help!!!

Thanks!

eec
01-15-2005, 09:50 AM
My co-worker just had this same problem in my shop. I'm not sure if all are completely the same but he replaced his multi-function switch.

multi-function switch is your turn signal switch, I think he spent like $80 our cost. Not sure what retail was. o ya DONT BUY OFF E-BAY. he bought his first one off ebay and it was bad. he spent 70 on that one thinking he was saving money.... he's a tight ass. go to the dealer...

the switch controls several things not just your blinkers.

good luck.

Chevy Chase
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
I also have a 1998 S-10 and the exact thing happpend to me yesterday. I've had a devil of a time figuring out what went wrong.

Add your comment to this topic!