Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Change Manual Trans. Fluid...

zgermans
01-12-2005, 12:17 PM
does anyone have or know of a detailed description on how to change the manual transmission fluid, tools needed, and type of fluid...i ave a 94 integra ls...

Bilson8tor
01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
its pretty easy, go to a hona/acura dealer to get the recommended manual tranny fluid then go to a auto parts store and get a trannt fluid change kit, it should just be a funnel with a hose on the end and maybe new washers. then warm the car up to operating temp,turn it off, then raise up the car(its a good idea to use jack stands). get a bucket/container of some sorts for the old fluid and go under the car with, the drain bolt used a socket wrench with no socket on the end(you should be able to tell which bolt by that last bit, its on the right side if you laying down with your feet facing the front of the car). remove the bolt and allow the fluid to drain into a container. i would also suggest going in the car with the plug still out and putting in all of the gears. once all drained, put the drain plug back(with new washer if you have it) then find the fill plug which is a little about the drain plug (takes a 19mm socket i think). once you get that out pop the hood and feed the hose with the funnel down near the fill hole and go back under to stick the hose in the hole. then go back up top and begin to pour the new tranny fluid in (i think it takes a bit over 2 quarts). once you know it getting close start to pour slowly and check under for when it starts to drip. then go back under with fill plug and new washer and put it back in. start the car back up, let it idle for a while, make sure the plugs are back and you actually filled the tranny with fluid. then test drive it.

Bilson8tor
01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
if that doesnt make sense, i can take pictures later or something...

zgermans
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
i think that sounds good...thanks for the feedback...

tran_nsx
01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
his something interesting. u can also use motor oil if u don't want to spend the 5-6 bucks a bottle for honda's mtf, they both work the same. go to any auto parts store and ask for mtf, they will look it up in their comp or whatever and it will point them to motor oil.

zgermans
01-13-2005, 01:23 PM
thanks again all...i changed the fluid last night...it was pretty easy...i bought the 3qts. of honda mtf for $12...changing the fluid really made a difference...it goes into gear a lot easier, quieter, and smoother...thanks...

whtteg
01-13-2005, 06:38 PM
thanks again all...i changed the fluid last night...it was pretty easy...i bought the 3qts. of honda mtf for $12...changing the fluid really made a difference...it goes into gear a lot easier, quieter, and smoother...thanks...

Remember you need to do it every 30K miles.

95RSV
03-02-2005, 07:48 PM
his something interesting. u can also use motor oil if u don't want to spend the 5-6 bucks a bottle for honda's mtf, they both work the same. go to any auto parts store and ask for mtf, they will look it up in their comp or whatever and it will point them to motor oil.

I guess "Mobil 1 tri-synthetic 10w30" should do it for my LS tranny.

whtteg
03-02-2005, 07:58 PM
I guess "Mobil 1 tri-synthetic 10w30" should do it for my LS tranny.

Not really, synthetic is a bad choice for the tranny. I personaly always just use the honda MTF but you can use any 10W-30 or 10W-40 mineral base oil.

95RSV
03-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Not really, synthetic is a bad choice for the tranny. I personaly always just use the honda MTF but you can use any 10W-30 or 10W-40 mineral base oil.

Thanks, I'll just go with the recommended honda MTF to be safe.

gsr916
03-03-2005, 02:18 AM
manual transmission "fluid" is not like auto tranny fluid its just gear oil you dont really need to change it. automatics need their trannies flushed, manuals dont. why do you want to change it? just change it when u get ur clutch redone or somethin

whtteg
03-03-2005, 01:26 PM
manual transmission "fluid" is not like auto tranny fluid its just gear oil you dont really need to change it. automatics need their trannies flushed, manuals dont. why do you want to change it? just change it when u get ur clutch redone or somethin

The MTF that is in our manual trannies is just like motor oil. It needs to be changed every 30k miles at the most, more often if you race amy decent amount or drive the car hard a lot. The trannies build up a lot of heat and they have no means of cooling, so that heat breaks down the oil/MTF. If you don't want tranny problems then change it every 30k or sooner.

95RSV
03-03-2005, 04:05 PM
why do you want to change it? just change it when u get ur clutch redone or somethin

I bought my car used and I already drove over 25000 miles. I think the fluids are way overdue and plus my shifting is not smooth so maybe a flush and change would help.

Privatebigandrew
03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I have tried many kinds of fluid in my tranny, first i tried mobil 1 10W30...that was a bad desicion. You could feel everything going on in the tranny through the shifter. Next i tried GM syncromesh with friction modifier....Pretty smooth. I then put Regular Honda MTF fluid back in (why not when its free) The Honda stuff compared to the GM stuff is not too much different, I did notice that the GM allowed me to shift into reverse alot easier and from 2nd to 1st. just my :2cents:

kornflakes28546
03-04-2005, 02:37 PM
10w30???... everytime ive seen man. tranny fluid its been really thick. i would think 10w30 would be way too thin...

95RSV
03-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Next i tried GM syncromesh with friction modifier....Pretty smooth. I then put Regular Honda MTF fluid back in (why not when its free) The Honda stuff compared to the GM stuff is not too much different, I did notice that the GM allowed me to shift into reverse alot easier and from 2nd to 1st. just my :2cents:

I heard a lot of good things about the GM syncromesh. Maybe I will consider it over the Honda MTF. How much per quart for the GM stuff btw?

Privatebigandrew
03-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Be prepared to spend at least $13 per quart. I got it at cost and paid like $11 per quart i think.

whtteg
03-04-2005, 10:51 PM
You can alos just buy the Honda MTF and put in some friction modifier, I think Lucas makes a good one, check your local auto parts store.

Also Kornflakes the Honda MTF is 10w-30 ;)

Add your comment to this topic!